Alero Talk about the Oldsmobile Alero within...

Water Leaking into cabin!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 03:46 PM

I have a 2003 Olds Alero 4DR (no sunroof). Over the last several weeks we have been having trouble when it rains. The first time we had trouble, the keyless entry didn''t work and when I attempted to start the car it started and died within 3 seconds. About 6 hours later (when the shop came to tow it) it started. Recently a very similar thing happened again, but this time we also noticed a small wet spot in the driver''s side foot well. The shop came to get it and it was still not starting when the picked it up. It wouldn''t even turn over. By the time they got to inspecting it, it had begun to work again. They said that the computer listed all sorts of weird codes, etc. They were unable to locate the problem and advised us to have the side "reveals" on the windshield replaced/installed as they had blown off on a recent trip...sounded resonable enough and I figured that would cure the problem. So, I took it and got them replaced confident that would solve the leak. Well, ....

Yesterday, after getting an inch of rain overnight the car dashboard lights were flashing strangely and there was a large puddle in the driver''s side footwell again and it wouldn''t start. I don''t want to keep paying the shop $200-$300 to dink around and not find anything. So, does anyone have any idea what is going on?

Old 09-13-2008, 09:58 PM
Super Moderator

My guess is that the BCM (Body Control Module) is getting wet when water leaks into the car, resulting in all the weird codes and flashing lights. It is located just forward and outboard of where your knee is when sitting in the drivers seat.

I have a guide put out by GM regarding finding leaks in the Alero. It is Service Bulletin 01-08-57-007A, issued April 2002. Your dealer may give you a copy, or I''ll email it if you send me a PM with your address.

These leaks are very common. Hopefully yours are not too hard to find.

Old 09-14-2008, 10:26 AM
Super Moderator

Email sent.