Alero Talk about the Oldsmobile Alero within...

What do you think about Aleros?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 07:44 PM
Default What do you think about Aleros?

Hello.
I'm a 16 year old looking for my first car.
Right now, my dad and I are looking at a 2000 Alero for $3k.
There doesn't appear to be anything wrong with it, but I'm just wondering what y'all think about the car as far as traveling long distances, how it gets around in the winter, and so on.

Old 08-06-2010, 11:11 AM
Super Moderator

Overall, the Alero is a decent car. I've had my 2001 for about 6 years now. Be prepared to replace window regulators (I've done all 4 of mine) and other misc parts. Browse around on Old forum and you will see what the common problem areas are.
I would recommend you get the 3.4 engine if you can, it's better than the other choices, and the mileage isn't that much different.

Old 08-06-2010, 03:53 PM
Super Moderator

They have their problems just like any other car does. How many miles are on it?

Old 08-24-2010, 11:26 AM

Don't know if you're still looking but I wouldn't recommend an alero unless you're handy. Yeah, you'll get a great price but things will break. You'll pay a lot more for an accord or a camry but fewer things will break. I've owned both an alero and an accord for some now and have to say that the accord is quite a bit more solid. But again, it would be more expensive.

Here are my list of issues with a 2001 base model, 2.4 4-cyl engine, coupe, 75k miles. Owned it for 2 years.

Starting to rust through just above the lower trim on the bottom of the car.
Both windows wouldn't roll up all the way. I fixed them but it wasn't easy.
Tie-rod ends needed replaced.
Cruise control won't stay on. Wedge a dime in the button to keep it on.
Heater control broke. Simple **** replacement.
Miscellaneous plastic parts breaking. Under dash, trunk trim, etc. Cosmetic issues for the most part.
Dome light won't turn off even when on auto setting. Have to just leave it off.
Now something is draining the battery overnight, I think. Sometimes it won't start in the AM but after driving it or charging it will start just fine.
Turned out it was a battery issue, advance auto parts tested it ok but it was bad.
New issue, hazard button got pushed into the dash. Gotta fish it out somehow this weekend...

Last edited by Festivus; 08-27-2010 at 06:58 AM. Reason: New issue to add
Old 08-27-2010, 08:56 PM

Hey I'm 16 two and just got and olds alero, so far i love the car, i have a 2002 four cylinder. and its great, i do agree with the window motors though, my are beginning to go, but overall the car is good. My brother had a honda accord and that was a great car too, so if you like the alero go for it but if your iffy on it, keep looking

Old 05-12-2011, 06:59 AM

Im turning 17 in January. I bought my 2000 Alero GX about 8 months ago.
Patched a little hole and now she looks like a beut !
I uploaded pics on here, ( Im pretty sure ) Check them out.
Last week I bought VHT Nightshade from Canadian tire, and tinted my lights, lookes great.
I have a sub box that fills my whole trunk with 2 10" woofers. Ive added alot more stuff, if your interested ill tell you but as for now, Mine is the 2.4L Twin cam 4 cylinder engine, and has a 5-Speed MANUAL transmission. I think its at 234,000 km maybe.. And still runs like a dream. I dont have power windows, (Only locks) but there is nothing wrong, or that I would change on it...
Drives nicely in the winter too, with 4-brand new all-seasons.

Old 06-02-2011, 08:27 PM
Default Proceed with caution

Like someone else said... read throught the forums and know what your getting into

1) Upper and Lower Intake manifold replaced multiple times
2) Window regulators
3) Seat Belt retractor stuck
4) Eats through brakes and rotors
5) Wheelbearings
6) Rear Window defroster
7) Signals don't always work without a slam on the top of the dash board
8) Passlock security system sometimes fails (Blinking security light) this requires a wait time of 10 minutes

Thats all I can think of... I have a 2001 GL with Sunroof/Moonroof, 290,000km's, Sport suspension and the 3.4l V6... I love my car but yeesh its gots its issues.

Old 06-04-2011, 09:30 PM
Super Moderator

1) Upper and Lower Intake manifold replaced multiple times-use the new gasket style from APN or Felpro, follow the torques carefully, it should last another 100K.

4) Eats through brakes and rotors-Don't buy GM brakes/rotors. Get a quality set of aftermarket ones, not the 15.99 cheapos, and you will be good to go.

5) Wheelbearings-Go with Timken, and make certain to follow the torque they tell you to use, and you should be okay.

7) Signals don't always work without a slam on the top of the dash board-replace the hazard light switch with the new design. There was a recall on this, GM might do it free depending on your VIN number.

8) Passlock security system sometimes fails (Blinking security light) this requires a wait time of 10 minutes-There is a fix for this as well, see the sticky at the top of this thread.

Most of the Alero's issues have been discussed and solutions found by now. Is it better to buy a car with solutions to the known problems, or buy one with unknown problems? Only you can decide.
BTW Tweak, I'm not saying you don't maintain your car, I just wanted people to be aware that there are fixes for most of the problems you have/had. I had most of the problems on your list at one time or another also.

Old 06-05-2011, 02:09 PM

All of my issues have been fixed. By using better quality after market parts... Those were just problems I have had in the past.