Alero Talk about the Oldsmobile Alero within...

Your honest opinion of the Alero

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 08:17 AM

I am curious as to your opinions of the Alero as we all see to have issues with the car.

Here is mine.

I purchased the 2000GL3 version of the coupe, fully loaded, 22k,(now has 60k after 2.5 years)cranberry red, 4cyl, a few years ago for 8500. I chose the Alero for the look and feel of the car. My first choices were a Camry and an Accord coupe. The dealer where I purchased had an identically equipped Accord with the same mileage but it was twice the price but KBB showed they were 1k under book on the lot.

After much deliberation and looking at a Carfax I made an offer on the Alero. They had been sitting on the car for 4 months and they were a VW dealer. The offer they took was below loan value on the car and being the pragmatist I am, my mind could not justify twice the price for an Accord.

My repair history has been excellent. Other than the usual brake issues and the minor electrical crap the car has been good to me. The fuel mileage stinks but am able to eek out 32 on the highway. A KNN helps. Stock tires were marginal performers at best so they were replaced with VR rateds and performance improved tenfold.

The bi-wire audio system sounds good for a stock system (Mine has the so-called premium one.) but to change anything you have to junk the whole damn thing it seems.

Resale value sucks but on the flip side the value I have gotten from the vehicle has been good and my payment under 180@month.

If I were to buy another Alero it would be a stickshift.

Oh, my last bitch is insurance cost. Higher due to the fact the car can be cut up and its parts used on other GM cars.

I would be curious to hear from someone who has a 5 speed Alero and how it performs.

The replies should be interesting.

Old 08-25-2007, 11:38 PM

i test drove an 03' alero with the 2.2L engine it was stick. i found that it had better pick up than the 3.4L automatic but thats just caus its stick. i have a fealing the 3.4 with a stick tranny would be a lot faster but they are rather hard to come by.

Old 12-10-2007, 10:16 PM

If you are still interested I have had my Alero brand new since april 2001. 130,000 miles. 3rd set of tires replace front wheel hubs, brakes a couple times and the cheap plastic clips the use in the windows broke. and I do have the service engine light on but not sure why yet haven' made it to Auto zone. Other than that I haven't had the inside molding problems or any other issues that I have seen.

Old 12-11-2007, 07:23 PM

&lt; src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" =text/&gt; </>Well I have a2000 Alero GX2 door and i havehad a lot of problems, that is why I joined the forum. My dash is wrinkling, my fan resistor went up, the spark plug coils just went up on me, just a little while ago the spark plugs rusted to the head, it beeps and the oil light comes on every time a make a turn over 15 mph, the tie rod broke(but that coud be more my fault), the transmission is starting to go up, I get less then 25 mpg(not sure if that is normal but i am used to 33+ with my old car) the body pannels are starting to rattle, interior fan is lose and hits something thatI need to look at.oil needs to be changes every 2000 miles, not 3000 or a little more, trunk lineing is coming up(easily fixable) and the car has less than 70,000 miles on it. I think thats about it, I really want to fix the car up because its a nice looking car. I think the 4 cylinder auto is not a good combo in the car, but it does the job. Its very comfortable and would be een better if it didn't have so many problems. I really hope that its just my car and that I got the one out of the assembly line that was destined to have problems because I love GM, and I would hate to think that they jipped me on cheap car parts &lt; =text/&gt; _uacct = "UA-939292-46"; urchinTracker(); </>&lt; src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" =text/&gt; </>&lt; =text/&gt; _uacct = "UA-939292-46"; urchinTracker(); </>
< src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" =text/>
</>

< =text/>
_uacct = "UA-939292-46";
urchinTracker();
</>Edited by: jfhunter64

Old 01-05-2008, 08:09 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by alti117
i test drove an 03' alero with the 2.2L engine it was stick. i found that it had better pick up than the 3.4L automatic but thats just caus its stick. i have a fealing the 3.4 with a stick tranny would be a lot faster but they are rather hard to come by.
< src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" =text/>
</>

< =text/>
_uacct = "UA-939292-46";
urchinTracker();
</>

They never made an Alero 5 speed with the 3.4L engine.

Old 07-08-2008, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by rustyballs_69

Originally Posted by alti117
i test drove an 03'' alero with the 2.2L engine it was stick. i found that it had better pick up than the 3.4L automatic but thats just caus its stick. i have a fealing the 3.4 with a stick tranny would be a lot faster but they are rather hard to come by.
&lt; src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" =text/&gt; </>&lt; =text/&gt; _uacct = "UA-939292-46"; urchinTracker(); </>

They never made an Alero 5 speed with the 3.4L engine.

I work at a car auction, and I had one a year ago with 3.4 and a 5 speed 2 door red. had the 16 inch alloys and rear spoiler.

Old 07-09-2008, 08:50 PM
Super Moderator

The only way there was a 5 speed manual trasmission is an Alero with the 3.4l V6 was if someone did a custom job. GM never made one period. Even the prototype OSV Alero 3.5 DOHC V6 had an automatic tranny.

Old 07-09-2008, 09:25 PM

Someone could have, seen weirder at the auction

Old 07-09-2008, 09:33 PM

Back to the origional topic, We are pretty happy with ours, its been a good car thus far, we are nearing 100,000 miles and running strong, Blew the doors of some punk in a Honduh today

GM could have done better on interior parts quality like the rear upper doors peeling and the dash peeling, the paint coming off the radio ***** is anoying too.

Itoo thought the origional goodyears sucked. I had Continentals for a while they were OK on it, I have Falkens on it now,Noisy but wear well and great traction

The brakes creak (front) I have put the Kluber fluid on a couple of times. it works for a while. then it comes back . We had 1 bad head gasket GM replace both and the intake seals under warranty , same with the cat converter.

Other than that its been good, we have an awesome dealer I use. Edited by: dge479

Old 07-14-2008, 01:32 PM

I have ben big fan of this car for as long as I can rember and I always wanted to get the OSV alero... But never did.

Edited by: OSVsupreme