Aurora Talk about the Oldsmobile Aurora within...

2001 Aurora - Dies while driving, no power. Help Plz

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 09:47 AM
Default 2001 Aurora - Dies while driving, no power. Help Plz

Hello all,
I've been driving my 2001 Aurora since November. It has not yet passed inspection due to a P410 code, that I have not yet addressed. Recently while coming back from the bank, 3 min drive, I came back to my car to notice that the car had little to no power. The radio display was very dimmly lit and there was a gear sound behind my instrument panel, while the tach and speedo needles twitched. I was stuck untill I was able to disconnect the battery and reconnect it.

The next day, I noticed a lot of humidity in the car and came to find water in the battery area, and also the front passenger carpet was wet. I had the day off and with these symptoms I found that three of the four drainage hoses were clogged and holding water. I cleared the lines and resolved that problem.

The same day I drove to do some shopping and the car died while driving. All of the instrument panel lights went on, and the rpm and speed started to drop for 2 seconds. The car came back up, the lights went out, and I continued driving to my destination. In this instance my clock and date needed to be reset. When I got to my location as I was walking away from my car and noticed that the key fob didnt lock my doors. Once again the car was dead, no power, no security light, nothing.

Finally just this morning on my way to work, the car died, and didn't start back up on its own. I did get power back after 2 seconds, but the engine didn't start up by itself. I pulled over, popped it in neutral and started the car w/o a problem. Again I had to reset my clock and date.

It seems that the car will die after about 5-10 mins of driving. Also upon arriving at my destination, the car may lose all power just after turning the key off, this may happen 1/3 of the time. The car does have a remote start installed, and I am currently using the GM key fob, so it may be a GM remote start or an aftermarket one.

Has anyone heard of issues like this, or maybe a fix to my problem? I am very mechanical, but diagnostic information isn't readily available so I am stuck so to speak. Thanks in advance.

Old 05-31-2010, 10:48 PM
Super Moderator

It sounds like the BCM got wet. It probably under the passanger side dash. Check the connections there and see if has gotten wet.