Aurora Talk about the Oldsmobile Aurora within...

Check engine light help please!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 03:30 PM
Exclamation Check engine light help please!

Hello All,
My girlfriends sister just bought a 98 Aurora and she went to get it registered... Well the engine light was on and it failed miserably. Her dad is a GM guy (I own a VW, so I know next to nothing about these) and suggested a few things to try. I thought I would leave this one to the pros and post a thread and see what you guys can come up with. The engine codes pulled from the ECU by the mechanic are as follows:

P1860- Torque Convertor/ Clutch PWM
P1646- Boost Solenoid/ 5v ref c/EVAP Vent Curcuit
P1645- Boost EVAP TCC Enable Curcuit
P1605- Loss of HVAC Seried Data
P1604- Loss of IPC Seried Data
P1603- Loss of SDM Seried Data
P1602- Loss of ABS Seried Data
P0758 2-3 Shift Solenoid B Curcuit Fault
P0753 1-2 Shift Solenoid A Curcuit Fault
P0741 TCC Performance of Stuck Off
P0300 Misfire Cylinder #2, #4

She called the person she bought if from and demanded her money back with no luck so the goal is to get it registered, cleaned and driveable. If you all can point me in a direction to resolve some of these I would be very appreciative. Thank you all in advance for your help!

Bo

Old 06-21-2009, 04:45 PM
Super Moderator

A lot of this is electrical...was this car in a flood?
I would be pounding down the sellers door to return the car, I don't see this as being a cheap fix...
The misfire can usually be corrected with new plugs and wires, be sure to use Delco parts, these engines are sensitive to other brands.
It is possible that some of these codes are left over from previously corrected problems. Did the mechanic clear the codes after reading them? If not, unplugging the battery for 30 minutes may clear some of them. If they don't return, that was a cheap and easy fix, leaving you with only current problems to deal with.
Let us know how it goes.

I'm moving this thread to the Aurora section.

Last edited by Iflylow; 06-21-2009 at 04:47 PM. Reason: Moved to proper section.
Old 06-22-2009, 07:36 PM

I dont think it was in a flood, I know almost nothing about the history of it. She tends to make hasty decisions when it comes to this kind of thing so it might not have been a great decision(Obviously...)

Her dad suggested plugs but then rescinded his decision for money purposes. He wants her to get it running and sell it. I drove it, checked all the fluids, checked the battery terminals(which look new) and it seems like a solid car except a minor shimmy at highway speeds. She is going to have the tires balanced to see if it will go away. I'm not sure if the mechanic cleared the codes or not. There was no check engine light when I drove it so he may have. I'll have her take it to AutoZone or NAPA and see what the ECU has for codes and go from there.

Thanks for the advice!
Bo