Aurora Talk about the Oldsmobile Aurora within...

Crank shaft positioning sensors

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 02:29 PM

Has anyone had to replace your crank shaft positioning sensors. Have had start up problems when cranking 01 aurora for quite a while. Check engine light came on a couple of times. The code lead me to crank shaft positioning sensor B. Recently start up problems have worsened so I decided to buy the sensors (a an b) and get them replaced before I''m left on the side of the road. Took it down to my mechanic and he said that these two small sensors creates a huge installationjob. $4-$500 worth of labor. He said he has to take engine bracket off and move engine and/or transmission forward or backward to replace these sensors. If anyone has any knowledge of this please respond. I don''t know if he''s exaggerating to make an extra buck or dead serious. If true this might be the end of the road with my aurora. Love this car for the last 5 yrs. but maintenance and repairs have tallied up to the point where enough is enough. Thanks in advance for your response..

Old 12-28-2008, 02:37 AM

Our 97 Aurora got really hard to start and I took it to a local shop to get the problem fixed. They changed the fuel pump and it didn''t clear the problem. I told them that in the old days the diaphram used to get a hole in it and allow the fuel to drain back towards the tank. When that happens you have to crank a long time to pump the fuel up to the engine. They changed the diaphram out and behold no more starting problems. Of course I now have a new expensive fuel pump as well.

Old 12-28-2008, 10:41 AM

Thanks for the feed back. Did some shopping around and got a better price from a mechanic thats more familiar with american cars. My start up problems rarely turned on my check engine light but when it did the code I removed was for the crank shaft sensor B. It won''t start at all now so I''m taking a chance with my diagnosis and having both sensor''s changed. Wish me luck, cause if this doesn''t fix the problem, it''s about to get more expensive. Might have to sell!!