Aurora Talk about the Oldsmobile Aurora within...

P-R-N-D-3-2-1 Indicator

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 09:49 PM

Just picked up 1998 Aurora. Creampuff car owned by retired couple. Everything seems to work; except, I'm wondering if the little red shift position indicator is supposed to be illuminated when the running lights are on. At night, the plastic bar with the P R N D 3 2 1 labels lights up, but you can't see the little red shift position indicator. The reason I ask is that I own a 1997 Olds LSS, which has basically the same style of console shifter, and the red shift position indicator lights up when the running lights are on, and it seems that the Aurora would be the same as the LSS. . . . By the way, anybody in Northern California know of a good transmission shop that would be qualified to rebuild the LSS's 4T60E transaxle?

Old 03-13-2007, 11:11 PM
Super Moderator

MY AURORA IS A 95 AND I BELIEVE THE CONSOLE IS BASICALLY THE SAME , THE GEAR SELECTOR COLOR IS RED BUT I AM NOT SURE WHAT HAS TO BE DONE TO REPLACE THE LIGHT. MIGHT ASKYOUR GM STORE IF THERE IS A BULB THAT CAN BE BOUGHT FOR THE RED LIGHT. COULDNT BE THAT MUCH OF A DEAL TO CHANGE IT. AS FOR THE TRANS , WHAT TROUBLE DO YOU HAVE THAT YOU NEED A SHOP..

Old 05-08-2007, 08:18 PM

The bulb is actually an LED that will shine red in park, or reverse but green in drive. You can buy them at Radio Shack for about $10.00

As for your tranny, what is wrong with it? My 95 Cutlass had the same tranny and it cost me quite a bit to rebuild it. those trannies are notorious for trouble! Might even be better to get a good used one, replace the fluid gasket and filter. I can get them here in Canada for about $300.00 CAD.

Old 05-09-2007, 06:03 AM
Super Moderator

LOOKS LIKE SLIM POSTED A QUESTION AND NEVER LOOKED BACK.