Cutlass Talk about all models of the Oldsmobile Cutlass within...

1971 Cutlass S 350 4bbl Valve Train

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 07:08 PM
Default 1971 Cutlass S 350 4bbl Valve Train

Hi:

I'm going to be installing an Edelbrock Performer RPM camshaft in my 350 this weekend, i need some help to determine what's the best way to go about it in terms of upgrading the valvetrain. i've heard some contradictory advice. my question is, should I be changing my pushrods to adjustable push rods and if so what brand do you recommend and if possible what part number.

or

should i adjust my rocker arms. Comp Cams sells a rocker arm/push rod kit (part #1441) that i'm told will satisfy all my needs but its rather expensive. i was also told that i can get away with just buying adjustable push rods for a lot less. I'll be installing hydraulic lifters that came with the camshaft.

second question - I bought edelbrock valve springs (part # 5812) to go with the Cam. One performance parts place told me that I might have a hard time getting those springs to fit into my heads, that the heads might have to be taken off and milled which i'm not going to do. i'd abort the camshaft replacement if it came down to that. then another performance parts dealer told me that the springs will fit in fine and even the edelbrock website says that the springs will fit original equipment. i've tried contacting Edelbrock support line but its always a super long wait, have not yet gotten through to them.

any help would be appreciated. if your advice is to return the edelbrock cam and go with some other brand such as Comp Cams i'm afraid that's not an option i'm going to consider, i'd rather work with the cam that I bought.

many thanks,
Warren