Cutlass Talk about all models of the Oldsmobile Cutlass within...

1998 Olds Cutlass 3100

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 08:03 AM
Question 1998 Olds Cutlass 3100

I recently purchased a 1998 Olds Cutlass with a 3100 engine. The car has only 29,000 actual miles on it. It looks like a new car basically. I am having a problem with the car starting in the mornings when it is cooler, however during the day when the temperature is hotter it will start on the first turn of the key. I have replace the crankshaft sensors, the igintion control module, the starter has been replaced, Alternator has been replaced, battery was replaced, fuel pressure regultor replaced, ECT sensor replaced. There have been a few times that I can get the car to start by turning the key and letting it go real fast . This lets me think that there might be a starting side and a running side on this car. I have had the car hooked up to a machine that reads the codes and the last time the code said to replace the crankshaft sensor located behind the pully on the front. I had it replaced and the car is still doing the same. My mechanic is getting very frustrated. I truly believe that the answer to this problem will surely be something simple, however I need help in finding the problem. Has anyone ever encountered a problem like this before on this year and make and engine number??

mark

Last edited by mark h; 09-29-2015 at 03:07 PM. Reason: Update
Old 11-11-2014, 10:59 AM

sounds silly -yet - its likely the temp senders!!! to computer!! radiator / block!!---- temp when cold - sender =bad= long crank times!!

Old 09-29-2015, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by mark h
I recently purchased a 1998 Olds Cutlass with a 3100 engine. The car has only 29,000 actual miles on it. It looks like a new car basically. I am having a problem with the car starting in the mornings when it is cooler, however during the day when the temperature is hotter it will start on the first turn of the key. I have replace the crankshaft sensors, the igintion control module, the starter has been replaced, Alternator has been replaced, battery was replaced, fuel pressure regultor replaced, ECT sensor replaced. There have been a few times that I can get the car to start by turning the key and letting it go real fast . This lets me think that there might be a starting side and a running side on this car. I have had the car hooked up to a machine that reads the codes and the last time the code said to replace the crankshaft sensor located behind the pully on the front. I had it replaced and the car is still doing the same. My mechanic is getting very frustrated. I truly believe that the answer to this problem will surely be something simple, however I need help in finding the problem. Has anyone ever encountered a problem like this before on this year and make and engine number??

mark

I finally fixed the problem. I replaced the ignition switch including the key pass sensor and reprogrammed the switch and now it starts fine.