Cutlass Talk about all models of the Oldsmobile Cutlass within...

91 Cutlass Ciera TPS Help Please!

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 03:15 PM
Default 91 Cutlass Ciera TPS Help Please!

hey guys,
Have the 3.3L Cutlass Ciera SL. Spitting out a code 12 and a code 22. The car would idle high or low depending on it's mood.. Then it started acting up while driving. The speedometer would fall flat and then jump all the way up and then the car will die. No change in speed, just the speedometer jumping around. Changed the TPS with no luck. What else could be causing this problem? Car is sitting in a gas station parking lot right now... trying to get it out. Vac lines are new and I cleaned the throttle body when I replaced the TPS this morning. Anything else that can cause a code 22? I'm thinking the code 12 will go away once the problem is fixed. Any help would be great! Thnx in advance!
-Phil

Old 02-13-2011, 05:46 PM

Code 22 shows as "Throttle position sensor error (signal low)" and code 12 shows "No distributor reference pulse (diagnostic test active)". There could be an issue with the igntion module. Not really sure what else would cause that.

EDIT: on another search I find that code 12 shows "all normal".

You might have a bad PCM.

Old 02-13-2011, 05:57 PM

Thnx. I saw code 12 as "no rpm reference pulse" but figured since i read the codes without the engine cranked that it had no rpms anyway and that i should focus on the code 22. With the new TPS in there idk what the code 22 could be for. Does it link up to the transmission or other system directly that could be causing the code? I could try a new ignition module, but would that explain the spedometer going crazy before it dies? I'm a classic car guy, not used to these computers and such. Thanks again for the advice!
-Phil
(PCM is different than ECM right?)

Old 02-13-2011, 11:00 PM

PCM = ECM. Primary control module/electronic control module/main computer.

I thought it was the tach going nuts. That's what I get for skimming. The computer being bad could cause that because everything runs through it.

Old 02-14-2011, 12:10 PM

naw.. i don't have a tach wish i did haha. Was worried about it being the computer... nothing cheaper I could check first, huh? Is there a positive way to test if it's the PCM?
-Phil

Old 02-14-2011, 12:48 PM

other thought.... do I have to reset my computer or anything after changing out the TPS? I pulled the ECM fuse for 10 minutes to see if it would reset the codes. Maybe have to disconnect the battery or leave the ignition in standby? not sure how the old's are...

Old 02-15-2011, 08:09 PM
Super Moderator

It might have to see a certain number of drive cycles with a good signal from the tps to reset itself. Or you could pull the battery for 10 min or so, but that doesn't reset all codes so I'm not sure about your 22.

Old 02-17-2011, 08:09 AM

Tried a new ECM as well.. Still having the problem. Did the detatching the battery but the codes are still there.

Old 02-18-2011, 08:31 PM

Someone on another forum brought up the concept of having to calibrate the TPS... Is this a possible cause of the problem? And if so, how is it correctly supposed to be calibrated?

Old 02-19-2011, 03:39 PM

Just in case anyone else comes across this issue:
The problem was calibrating the new TPS (Throttle Position Sensor). The paddle needed to be lifted up higher than it was sitting. I put a wad of aluminum foil under the paddle, reset the computer by disconnecting the battery for several minutes and the code was gone. The check engine light is now off too. Have to take the throttle body off to get to it, so I'll make the fix permanent tomorrow. So FYI, the TPS has to rest at a certain point in its travel not to cause problems. When installing it doesn't just lay flush.