Cutlass Talk about all models of the Oldsmobile Cutlass within...

98 cutlass

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 03:56 AM

The black retaining clip for my 98 cutlass fuel filter broke. I was told I would have to replace the entire fuel sending unit at 500 dollars since this part is not replaceable and the fuel line to the tank is a swedged on piece. Would someone tell me if this is true, or do you have a fix for it.

Old 07-13-2007, 07:59 AM

explain what and where this part is located!

Old 07-13-2007, 08:02 PM

The fuel filter is located justrear of the gas tank, and the black retaining clip is attached to the end of the main fuel supply line that comes out of the tank before enteringthe filter and then to the engine. The retaining clip, and four metal spring clipsprevent the filter from leaking fuel and requires a special tool to release and remove the filter. When I removed the filter the black clip having aged 9 years and is subjected to all environmental abuse possible broke. Now nobody sells the clip or the fuel line, I am told by Olds. parts that I would need an entire fuel sending unit that is mounted into the tank for a plastic clip.

Old 07-13-2007, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by 98 cutlass
The fuel filter is located justrear of the gas tank, and the black retaining clip is attached to the end of the main fuel supply line that comes out of the tank before enteringthe filter and then to the engine. The retaining clip, and four metal spring clipsprevent the filter from leaking fuel and requires a special tool to release and remove the filter. When I removed the filter the black clip having aged 9 years and is subjected to all environmental abuse possible broke. Now nobody sells the clip or the fuel line, I am told by Olds. parts that I would need an entire fuel sending unit that is mounted into the tank for a plastic clip.

From what I understand it sounds like the line that is actually part of "fuel pump+ sending unit assembly", Is the problem that, the clip during manufactures assembely was first installed on the tubing then by design not made to be removed, so you dont have any way to get one on without cutting the line , install a new one then couple the line. I would think someone on this board would have a burned out assembly that thay swaped out with a junk yard. Maybe be someone can chime in on this and help out.