Cutlass Talk about all models of the Oldsmobile Cutlass within...

Edelbrock carb install help!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 05:47 AM
Default Edelbrock carb install help!!

I need some help installing my new edelbrock 1405 on my stock 307 1988 cutlass supreme classic. I know how to bolt it on up n stuff but I'm not sure which vacuum lines to connect disconnect plug in or anything all I really want is only the necessary like PVC, transmission, distributor and brakes but what do I do with all the other lines. Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks agAin

Old 08-02-2011, 04:39 AM

If all you are swapping is the carb you're going to have problems. The original is computer controlled and without that in place you won't get the proper readings and nothing else will work properly. The dist is also computer controlled and thus has no vacuum line.

If you have to run through emissions it will never pass with that carb on there.

Now you can get it to run, but you're going to have to swap out the distributor for a non-computer controlled unit.

Old 08-02-2011, 12:58 PM

Thanks svnt422 I will definitely get a non computer distributor. But what about all the other vacuum lines can you help me out any with those? Thanks again for the distributor recommendation. And to clear things up I don't need to worry about passing smog at all.

Old 08-04-2011, 04:42 AM

Well I'm not familiar with those so much any more. I have never owned a CCC (computer controlled) Cutlass and thus am not sure of the routing.
You'll want the timed port on the carb to go to the distributor. The EGR if it's got a vacuum port should be manifold vacuum as should the trans if it needs it. The brake booster should be a large line again manifold vacuum either off a port on one of the rear runners or you can use the port on the back of the carb. The large port on the front of the carb is for the PCV valve.

Now there may be a thermal switch on the front of the intake with vacuum lines running to it, but I'm not sure of that. There also may be a vacuum line running to the charcoal canister...again, not sure.

There should be a routing diagram on the fan shroud that should get you in the ballpark.