Cutlass Talk about all models of the Oldsmobile Cutlass within...

Engine/tranny complete swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 05:47 AM
Default 86 Cutty/Sup Engine/tranny complete swap

I'm looking to completely replace the original engine and tranny in My G-body '86 cutlass supreme with a 350 or 383 stroker, I'm sure either will fit(but one will drink more gas, lol). And I'm not sure what kind of tranny I'm looking for, for what could turn out to be a fairly high HP and torque application depending on If I decide to add a turbo charger(or two) later.

But for right now I only have about $5000 to work with. Does anyone know what kind of trans I need, If I will need to replace the drive shaft, If the main is 2 or 4 bolt on this car, and what kind of real prices I'm looking at for the engine and tranny swap only. I have an Idea but I want others views on this, people who may have experience with it. This car is actually older than I am.

Also the computer, will i need a new one of those.

Last edited by Prodigious9; 02-26-2011 at 06:08 AM. Reason: Left something out.
Old 02-27-2011, 04:34 PM

Both will fit fine . The Chevy will be cheap to get parts . But for your budget you could Get a crate motor ..

I like the R700 trans has over drive . But the stock will work fine if built up some

Old 02-28-2011, 05:45 AM

Nah, the ori tranny is about burnt. I accidentally crack a trans fluid line once when changing the radiator, I put a splice in it and fixed it for a while. A year later while I was 2000 miles away and my sister was using my car the splice came loose and I think she pushed it for a little while with less than an ideal amount of tranny fluid. So now the tranny works, but the car just doesn't get up and go like it did when I first got it. So now I'm swapping the ori 307 (which has a small and very slow oil leak somewhere near the exhaust manifold on the passenger side) and the tranny.

Now If I start apply more power, say single or twin turbos or a supercharger, you know quite a bit more power but nothing outrageous. What do i need to do to avoid a cracked block or a shredded rear-end, or is everthing ok?. I keep reading different post about the "bottom end" (I have no idea what that is but I'm absolutely certain it's important)

Checked ebay for r700 tranny and came up with nil . I will continue searching.

How about the th 350 or 400?
or A 700r4(which seems to be cheapest but will it fit)

Last edited by Prodigious9; 02-28-2011 at 09:40 AM.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:36 AM

I'd look out for an Olds 350 motor (preferably complete carb to pan), it will drop straight in. If you put in another make you will give yourself dollar eating problems such as fabricating engine mounts, exhaust system and pan clearance to name a few.
I would also suggest a 200R4 tranny to go with it, if you aren't going to punish the car it will live with the 350, and they can be strengthened for a reasonable outlay if you want peace of mind.

Last edited by rustyroger; 03-02-2011 at 10:39 AM.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:18 AM

Honestly I'm just looking to drop a new engine into the car, with maybe some upgrades later, and chevy engines are easier to find and most likely cost less than it's Olds counterpart, I've also been told that they bolt right in no problem, unless you have experience otherwisewith this exact type of car. I'm not necessarily looking to "punish" the car, but I would like to eat an occasional Import or two once in a while.
So the 200r4 will work eh?

Old 03-04-2011, 08:25 AM

You might like to try "GBodyforum", It has a lot of stickies on engine swaps and a very wide database of people with much more knowledge than I have, one thing to consider is the chassis needs strengthening to handle any significant increase in torque.
A version of the 200r4 was used in the Buick GN models (significantly stronger than the standard unit), try their website to learn more about how to upgrade one.
Hope this helps,
Regards,
rustyroger.
Hope this helps.

Old 03-05-2011, 03:36 AM

I see, that does sound like a good Idea, I wonder if i can find one thats alreday built. Thanks for fresh ideas. Actually what I think can resolve this entire post is the Question "Will most major parts from any G-body type car fit any other G-body type car?"

Last edited by Prodigious9; 03-05-2011 at 07:44 AM.
Old 03-05-2011, 08:33 AM

If you want to put a Chevy engine in your car the Monte Carlo is a G body that left the factory with a sbc. You may be able to pick up a clunker for parts like mountings, wiring loom, and anything else than may need swapping.