Cutlass Talk about all models of the Oldsmobile Cutlass within...

Lowering 95 Cutlass

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 12:22 PM
Question Lowering 95 Cutlass

Hi: I am new to the form. I have a 95 Cutless. I would like to lower it about 1 to 1 and half inches. Any suggestions? The front end has coil springs and that should be no problem. It's the rear end I am concerned about. It has a leaf spring that runs from one side to the other. (Left wheel to right wheel) Any suggestions?

Old 03-30-2011, 10:01 AM
Default Droppin that Cutlass

I'm also new to this and a owner of a 94 ciera with the 3.1L engine. Just some info on these cars; There was a transitional period from 94 to 95 and some late model 93's too, had an OBD system called "OBD 1.5" but also comes up on the scan tool as OBD11. There usually isn't any wire to jump for checking of OBD DTC's(like jumping A and B on the twelve pin connector). Those models only have three wires now(A, K and M), but to maybe help answer your question.... There was a set that lowered these cars about 1.5" but no longer make them. Honestly if your car is a daily driver, i wouldn't lower it. I'm looking into a cross reference so i can change out the rear drums to disc but can't find the right info myself. your car shouldn't have leaf springs but an axle beam, with a spring and shock on both sides. So, if you can find that set of springs then, you'll have yourself a lowered car. If you ever come across any brake info or honestly anything, I'll have an open ear haha. Good luck and hope that helps out with your project.(I may be wrong but, I feel that my info is 100% accurate.)

Old 03-31-2011, 11:30 AM
Default Lowering 95 Cutlass

Originally Posted by redlime
I'm also new to this and a owner of a 94 ciera with the 3.1L engine. Just some info on these cars; There was a transitional period from 94 to 95 and some late model 93's too, had an OBD system called "OBD 1.5" but also comes up on the scan tool as OBD11. There usually isn't any wire to jump for checking of OBD DTC's(like jumping A and B on the twelve pin connector). Those models only have three wires now(A, K and M), but to maybe help answer your question.... There was a set that lowered these cars about 1.5" but no longer make them. Honestly if your car is a daily driver, i wouldn't lower it. I'm looking into a cross reference so i can change out the rear drums to disc but can't find the right info myself. your car shouldn't have leaf springs but an axle beam, with a spring and shock on both sides. So, if you can find that set of springs then, you'll have yourself a lowered car. If you ever come across any brake info or honestly anything, I'll have an open ear haha. Good luck and hope that helps out with your project.(I may be wrong but, I feel that my info is 100% accurate.)

By reading some things from other sites I found a place that will custom build a transverse mono leaf spring for me. Birchmount Springs in Canada. It will cost about $ 225 plus shipping. What I have to do now is get some coil springs for the front that are made for a 1 inch drop and hope that does the trick.

Old 04-01-2011, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by JPalmateer
By reading some things from other sites I found a place that will custom build a transverse mono leaf spring for me. Birchmount Springs in Canada. It will cost about $ 225 plus shipping. What I have to do now is get some coil springs for the front that are made for a 1 inch drop and hope that does the trick.
My 94 has springs in the back, aren't you talking about the rear axle itself(axle beam or whatever).

Old 04-03-2011, 01:28 AM

No. The Cutlass is a W body. It doesn't have a rear axel. It's a front wheel drive. I am not sure about the Ciera. Yours would be easier to lower if it has springs. There is a site call "W Body" that talks all about lowering W body cars which are the Buick Regals, The Grand Am,The Chevy Lumina and Monte Carlo from the late 80s to late 90s that all have the transverse monoleaf spring. It looks like a leaf spring turned upside down that runs from one side of the car to the other.