Cutlass Talk about all models of the Oldsmobile Cutlass within...

renew engine + manual transmission

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 07:15 AM
Default renew engine + manual transmission

Hi,

I'm having a 71 Cutlass and I'm under the impression that the engine and transmissions are getting it's age.
Preferably I would renew my engine or just replace the engine. What would you suggest? If a new engine, where can I find this (also who can export to Europe).

Would there be any stroker engines that can be used (of course with some changes to motor compartment).

Would there be manual transmissions for an olds?

Regards PJ

Old 06-14-2010, 12:11 PM

What are you starting with? If you want more CID and you have a 350 then a 455 would be the ticket. Being in Europe might make that more difficult. You won't find a "new" Olds engine anywhere so rebuilding what you have is an option. You can have your crankshaft offset ground to get more CID or do an overbore to 4.125 IF your block can handle it. You would need to have it sonic checked first to make sure there is enough material to do it safely.
As far as the 4 speed goes the answer is yes, but it's not that simple. If you currently have an automatic transmission then you have to have the crank drilled for a pilot bearing as Oldsmobile only did it when the car was getting a stick shift from the factory.

Old 07-02-2010, 08:35 AM

I'm sorry for the late reply. But I must have missed the mail that was sent from your reply.

I've been talking to some people. Most of them suggested a chevy small block. Apparently you can buy a kit that is supported to support the chevy engine on a oldsmobile frame.

However I was not sure about the transmission. Would it be better to replace that aswell? I think it might be a lot of work by also replacing the transmission to an manual.

Any experience in chevy blocks?

Old 07-02-2010, 08:42 PM

Oh boy.....I HATE that. It's not as simple as a "kit" to install a Chevy small block. The wiring is different due to everything being on the opposite side of the engine.
Rebuild what you have. This way you don't have to worry about converting anything.

Old 07-03-2010, 01:38 AM

I really appreciate the response. It's hard to find some information about renewing the engine. These people indeed suggested a chevy block. Since the parts are more easily be found.
Is that also the case for oldsmobile? Where can I find performance parts for it?

Any thoughts on the automatic transmission? Is that good enough for performance?

Old 07-03-2010, 12:10 PM

Check out this site. The owner of the shop is Bill Travato. Google his name and you'll find he knows his stuff. You can get anything you want from him and a good price and if you call him he'll help you with what ever you need.
Being that you are in Europe he might even give you specs to give to a machine shop so they can do your block and heads properly.

http://www.btrperformance.com/products.html