Cutlass Talk about all models of the Oldsmobile Cutlass within...

Squeeling problems?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 01:27 AM

Does anyone have any squeeling problems out of the front of their car after driving for about 10 to 15 minutes?

Mine starts when the brakes get Hot like driving in traffic.

It sounds like the Brake squeelers making niose but the pads are like new. When I hit the brakes the niose stops for the most part.

If I am coasting it is bad and if I accelerate slowly without much torque. If I take off hard no noise.

I was thinking wheel bearing. But if it is that dry that it is queeling like that the bearing should be hard to spin the wheel but no go on that one. The wheel spins freely.

Thinking maybe something with the pads.

Wondering if someone has been through this before.

Any suggestions welcome and appreciated.

Old 10-11-2006, 09:45 AM
Super Moderator

When you replaced the pads, did you get the rotors turned? Sounds like they might be glazed.

C.J.

Old 10-11-2006, 10:37 PM

They were done before I got the car.

Today I removed the pads and used a Roloc disc to clean them up some to take the Glaze off and spray the rotor with Anit-squeel.

After cleaning the pad up the Pad is so hard I can use it for sandpaper. It is really that rough after cleaning it up.

Going to get softer pads this weekend and install and see what happens from there.

It was better today after cleaning the pads and installing silicon grease on the back of the pads.

Old 10-12-2006, 12:05 AM

I had a similiar problem with achevy crapalier, sounded like a howling/squelling sound, it was wheel bearings. I couldnt tell it was the wheel bearing because there was no hesitation or wabbling in the wheel when i jacked it up either. I also thought it was the exhaust. I even brought it in to a mechanic and they replaced something else, dont remember but they didnt fix it.

I also had a wheel bearing go in a Jeep Strangler (wrangler), but it was just really really wobbly and the wheel was ready to fall off.

Old 10-13-2006, 12:11 AM

It was alot better today I will see how it is in the next day or so then take it from there.

Going to replace the pads anyway because I hate Hard pads.

I like really soft brake pads I don't mind washing the wheels.

Also stops better.Edited by: 91Vert

Old 10-13-2006, 04:01 AM
Super Moderator

Glad to hear it's better.

May I suggest you take off your rotors and get themturned anyway. It's the only way to completely take off the glaze, it will stop better and pads will last longer.

C.J.

Old 10-14-2006, 12:24 PM

I know that thanks for the suggestion.

I will take then to work and Cut them myself.