Cutlass Talk about all models of the Oldsmobile Cutlass within...

tensioner pulley replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 04:09 PM

Another problem...

Okay so I've replaced one idler pulley already, the bearings froze and it locked up and threw the serpentine belt off, took a couple of ribs of the belt with it... YOU HAVE TO SEPERATE THE ENGINE FROM THE MOUNTS TO REPLACE THE BELT!!! what a pain.

anyway, it's making that same exact whining noise again, so i checked both idler pulleys and it's neither, i checked the tensioner pulley and it's real loose, i'm thinking that's it.

The other pulleys are easy to do, but this one is on the tensioner itself. Has anyone changed this before or know how to do it? I didn't seem obvious to me.

Chilton has no advice on this.

1998 cutlass supreme, 3.1

-Nate

Edited by: natethegreat

Old 02-27-2007, 04:44 AM
Super Moderator

Dump that worthlessChiltons and get a real Chassis Service Manual.Itwill help you diagnose and fix your other problem, too.

C.J.

Old 03-20-2007, 11:48 AM

Hi nate / great.

I just replaced my tensioner in my 94 olds. It's pretty easy, you just need a new tensioner (I suggest www.rockauto.com). A tensioner bar to release the tension on the belt. And a socket set probably 13mm.

There should be one machine bold holding the tensioner in, and a guide bolt or screw on the opposite side facing the engine block. Remove the belt unbolt the tensioner replace the tensioner (should come with a new bolt, be sure to use this) with the new bolt making sure that the reference pin on the back seats into the guide hole on the engine block (you'll see what I mean).

It is pretty simple.

I agree with texasred, chiltons, and haynes suck.
Check out www.autozone.com their online repair manuals are free, and they are excerpts from a real service manual set.

Good Luck!
Slappy

Old 08-08-2007, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by Slappy
Hi nate / great.

I just replaced my tensioner in my 94 olds. It's pretty easy, you just need a new tensioner (I suggest www.rockauto.com). A tensioner bar to release the tension on the belt. And a socket set probably 13mm.

There should be one machine bold holding the tensioner in, and a guide bolt or screw on the opposite side facing the engine block. Remove the belt unbolt the tensioner replace the tensioner (should come with a new bolt, be sure to use this) with the new bolt making sure that the reference pin on the back seats into the guide hole on the engine block (you'll see what I mean).

It is pretty simple.

I agree with texasred, chiltons, and haynes suck.
Check out www.autozone.com their online repair manuals are free, and they are excerpts from a real service manual set.

Good Luck!
Slappy

How tight is that bolt sopost to be? mine looks loose! Also can find belt tension indicator, anyone know?

[img=http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/498/gaprl0.th.jpg"&g t;

[img=http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/498/gaprl0.th.jpg"></a>">

Edited by: Ryano