Cutlass Talk about all models of the Oldsmobile Cutlass within...

Why I Love My Olds...

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 11:07 AM

I've concluded that I Love my Olds so much because it's complicated, has a mind of it's own and does what it wants. Therefore I'm never bored because something always needs to be changed, fixed, or adjusted AND my wallet is never full. I work to keep my Olds in tact. [img]smileys/smiley11.gif[/img]

Everyone has been a great help here - I have some more questions in need of input/answers.

1. I replaced the starter 6 months ago, I purchased a reman starter from pep boys & the extended warranty. B/c I Love my car. Anyways - 3 days ago my car started humming when I turned the key. It would hum a couple times, than I'd wait and turn the key and it would start up. Assuming the starter was bad I took it out - however - just by looking at it you could see it was covered in oil, inside and out. I Was able to exchange for a different one - but WHY would there be oil all over my starter and what am I looking for? I do have a small line leak nothing MAJOR that I planned on fixing.. this couldn't be the issue could it?

2. When I pulled out that starter - I managed to bang my head on the bumper (don't ask) and yanked too hard - It grabbed the Oil Pressure Sensor and ripped it out. Not a problem really because the thing just fell apart.. in other words it probably would have needed to be replaced soon anyways. BUT - part of the connecter peice snapped off inside and I can't get it out to put in the new one. Any ideas? Do I splice the wires and run them together? They're both females.. so does it matter what wires are connected, another mechanic told me no.

3. Overdrive is causing issues - not real bad but it's not shifting like it should. I've kept up on the tranny fluid & know it's full. It's taking a while to shift, almost like it's holding out until the very last minute. 2 questions here: Is my tranny shot? AND - I live in the city and some have suggested just driving in 3rd b/c I don't ever go over 40... can I w/o messing up the tranny?

I'm just full of inquiries today. [img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img]

Thanks everyone. Here's to Olds! [img]smileys/smiley11.gif[/img]

Old 01-04-2007, 09:52 AM
Super Moderator

I can only help on the oil...maybe. Underneath the grime that accumulates with any fluid leak, was it motor oil (thick and black and smells like....oil) or transmission fluid (lighter, perhaps pinkish and kinda sweet smelling)?

Motor oil = rear main engine seal

Transmission fluid = Front Trans seal or torque converter

C.J.