Eighty-Eight Talk about the Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight within...

1983 Delta 88 Royale Convertible?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 05:47 AM

Hi! I've picked myself up a 1983 Delta 88 Royale coupe with the landau, and was kicking around a few ideas, all of which are going to be very expensive and time consuming, but here's my plan. (Chances are a lot of this is going to have to be built by hand...)

Right. First and foremost, I always thought that the coupe would look fantastic as a convertible. It's long, the body is basic but elegant. What I'd like to do is chop off the roof and replace it with a motorized convertible top that folds up into the trunk. I want it to be fabric with a glass rear window, and have a cover that seamlessly closes the gap when it's folded. Any ideas on how this would effect structural integrity, where any extra crossmembers and bracing on the chassis should go?

Other plans-

Complete, self designed custom interior. I want to keep it looking classic, along the lines of say a Rolls or Bentley as inspiration. This means soft leather for the seats, new power seats that I'll probably have to build myself or have built for me, burlwood trim (the real stuff, not plastic), I will be building a center console, converting the column shift to an automatic floor shift, as well as making the car more livable. I basically want to keep it classic, luxurious, and elegant, yet entirely functional and practical as well.

The dashboard is a bit boring. So, I want to replace the squarish speedo and such with an array of circular gauges, all backlit with modern LED lighting and such. The idiot lights will be gone. Any ideas on who makes gauges like this?

There's more on the interior later.

The exterior will be repainted in British Racing Green, which I've chosen for a couple reasons- One, to pay homage to the british luxury cars that serve as my inspiration, and two, it's very unique to be on this car. The chrome pieces would have to be redone, as well as the bumpers. The car also needs a trunk lid (catastrophic rust on that one) and doors (ditto).

for the wheels I've decided on Dayton wire wheels, a classic style, not lowriders.

As far as the engine goes, I like the 307, but it doesn't have enough oomph sometimes. Would acrate 350 bolt up without issues? Also, do any of the new 350's offer better gas mileage than the older engines? I'm looking to make this car a semi-daily driver (presuming the weather is nice)

Suspension- Here's a tricky thing. I want to improve the ride comfort, reduce body roll, yet keep it completely soft and supple, without being wallowy. The brakes are going to be replaced with larger discs up front, and I'd like to look into possible rear discs as well. Do they make conversion kits that allow you to add ABS?

The car will continue to look, and BE, a 1983 Olds Delta 88, but modernized into the luxury car it should have been. I just want to do it properly without making a hash of it. Any, and all, suggestions are welcome.