Eighty-Eight Talk about the Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight within...

1988 fuel pump surprises

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2019, 01:00 PM
Default 1988 fuel pump surprises

My '88 has been very reliable and it started immediately after sitting all winter, but then quit after a few seconds. Would not start again and I verified no fuel pressure.

This is strange because it was pumping just fine when I needed gas for my snowblower. Back then I removed the shroeder valve insert at the engine and pumped about a gallon and a half into a can, no problem, but I was surprised that the pump kept running for me. I thought I remembered doing it years ago when I had to repeatedly turn the key to get enough gas in the can. I believe the pump is only supposed to run for a couple seconds or so with the engine off. What would make it stay on?

One thing that was different is I had to use a battery charger to run the pump because that battery was dead. Maybe the extra voltage kept the pump on? I have a fresh battery now that turns the engine over with authority, but I suppose I should try the charger again to be sure.

I can hear the relay clicking, but I don't hear the pump. I yanked the pump relay and jumpered the 30 and 87 terminals (not with plain stripped wire, but with 1/4" male spades), but the pump still didn't run and got no fuel pressure.

I think it is strange that the pump worked in the cold, but not now.

Dropping the tank looks like a mother. Is there a shield between the muffler and the tank that has to be removed? I guess the muffler doesn't have to come off, but has to be lowered.