Eighty-Eight Talk about the Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight within...

82 olds 98 possible trans issue help?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 09:32 PM

< src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" =text/>
</>
Ive got an 82' olds 98 with the 307 V8.. its my first car ive had it for over a year and a half now.. just this weekend the speedometer went out on me.. shortly after engine light came on.. now ive already done the paperclip check and all its saying is that the speedo isnt working.. So onto my worry.. before all this happened normally when i drove the car and got up to around 40-45 the car would sort of shift up into a higher gear where the car would just cruise with low rpms the way it sounds.. what im trying to get out is that the car for the past three days has not shifted into that gear like it use to.. its stays in the next lowest gear and at 40-45 the car sounds like the rpms are up pretty high.. a guy at work told me that is sounds like a possible torque converter or something not telling the trans to shift up that next step.. Being only 17 i dont have alot of money to take it in.. if anyone can just kinda shed some light on what my problem might be.. plz do. thank you.
< =text/>
_uacct = "UA-939292-46";
urchinTracker();
</>

Old 09-17-2008, 10:30 AM

Not sure what transmission is in that car but I had a similar problem with a 1983 Old Cutlass Supreme. If I recall correctly, it had a 200R tranny. In any case, it turned out the small plastic gear on the centrifugal valve shifting mechanism had all its teeth stripped.A GM transmission guy who was a friend of my father in law slide under the car and removed the valve unit and sure enough the little white nylon gear on the end of the unit was toast. He obtained and installed a new gear and the car was back on the road. The valve unit had a round cylindrical cover which he just pried off/out of the transmission housingwith a large screw drive if I recall then the unit slides down and out of the tranny. The only thing special I think was some sealing/gasket type compound that he used to reseal the cover when he installed it. If you like, I can try to get and post a picture of the unit here on this site if someone can tell me how to post a picture....

Let me know....