Eighty-Eight Talk about the Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight within...

94 88LSS Loss of power/torque

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 01:18 AM

Hi. I'm a new member, but a long time viewer of this site.

I have a 1994 88LSS with the L27 Series I 3800 V6 and 4T60-E trans. It suffers from a loss of power or torque. From a dead stop, on accel it puts me back in my seat, but around 3500-4000 RPMS acceleration starts to die off. The tach/rpms still go up, but the pull goes away. It still shifts ok. I don'teven know when this happened or started to happen.

I've come here cause no one else has answers, not even dealers or local repair shops. I have done alot to try and resolve this problem. New Air Filter, AIT Sensor, MAF, TPS, Knock Sensor, Intake Gaskets, Plugs, Plug Wires, Coils, Ignition Module, Battery Cables, Altenator, Catalytic Converter, Fuel Pump and Filter, Injectors, Trans Soleniods, and PCM.

The car has 250K miles on it. I first noticed the problem at 200K.At 235K I installed a used engine with 92K miles. The trans was rebuilt at 140K.

A couple of things are happening or have happened that might be the culprit.

1) One day the trans modulator shot out while I was driving. The bracket came lose. I bought and installed a new modulator and bracket. "Could something else inside the trans have flown out of the modulator inlet and on to the road besides trans fluid?"

2) I found a ground wire loop that was never connectedat the factory. It was under the moulded carpet on drivers side. I installed it and WOW the lights don't dim when I roll up the windows anymore. "But could that also be the ground for something important that is damaged now?"

No trouble codes. Checked compression yesterday (6=190, 4=179, 2=185, 5=178, 3=183, 1=186) seems ok to me. Fuel pressure tested ok.

One more thing my rear brakes haven't worked for five years. HELP PLEASE. Thank you for viewing.

Old 03-13-2007, 02:32 AM

Well I think I fixed it. It was the plug wires. I don't think I'll buy another ACCEL product ever again in my life. I had bought their coil packs. 1 went out with in a month, ACCEL replaced it. Then every one of them went bad in less than a year. And now these wires, I bought them 30,000 miles ago. But they've been bad for a while. Maybe ever since I put them on.I guessthey were too restrictive to the spark at high rpm's. Or something wrongwith manufacturing quality.

As far as my rear brakes go, I installed new drums, shoes, wheel cylinders, and brake hardware. Even thoughthe drums and shoes still had life "after five years". I can't really tell a difference.

Old 02-15-2009, 09:52 PM

congrats on fixing your power problem, it sounded like you were nailing about every point you could nail. i had a starting problem in my 89 delta that i chased for over a month. as far as telling the life of a drum brake, they can wear till there is almost no pad left on the shoe it self. tractor-trailer brakes need more padding on them, but for your car, they can be pretty thin before its a concern, like coin thickness, as long as no part of the metal structure of the shoe is in contact with the drum. disk pads on the other hand, if you are down to a coin''s thickness, they are a little overdue for a change.. speaking of which, i need to order mine!