Brake Lights - Oldsmobile Forum - Oldsmobile Enthusiasts Forums

Old 07-17-2017, 09:23 PM

Default Brake Lights

We have a 1956 Old Super 88 Convertible. For some unknown reason the brake lights have quit working. Wonder if the stop light switch is not working. We have power brakes on the car but the only switch we have been able to find is for manual brakes. Will the same switch work for the power brakes? Thanks for any help with this problem.
Old 07-23-2017, 03:06 PM

I do not know for certain there is a difference betw power and manual brakes in terms of the switch? Check Fusicks for the req'd switch. That should tell you if there is a different switch for manual and power brakes

Before you start replacing in hopes, do some diagnostics. A simple VOM (Volt-Ohm Meter) or continuity tester will tell you whether or not the brake light switch is defective.

I would also recommend that your present your problem to the folks at Classic Oldsmobile. There are more than a few of your vintage Olds owenrs there.
If it is not it could be a simple matter of burned out bulbs, loss of a ground, a blown fuse.