Eighty-Eight Talk about the Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight within...

I love my Delta 88 Brougham Series! But is it calling it quits on me?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 10:45 PM
Exclamation I love my Delta 88 Brougham Series! But is it calling it quits on me?

Hey guys! My name is Josh and I own a Grey 1989 Olds Delta 88 Royale Brougham Series. I LOVE THIS CAR. It only had 114,000 miles on it when I bought it and now it has 130,000. It was a Florida car and was used in the Air Force (still has the D.O.D. Sticker on the windshield SO COOL!!)

I replaced all the shocks, brakes, fixed the timing chain @ 115,000, replaced all of the electrical parts @ 115,000, i give it regular oil changes and keep it in good shape, degrease the engine regularly, installed a sub and amplifier for sound performance , and it has been a blast to own.

But i have a problem with it now...

Since 3 days ago, it has been shutting off on me whilst driving. With no warnings. (I will say that the gas is very jerky before it shuts off) I have plenty of gas. I checked the alternator, it was fine. Has plenty of oil and trans fluid. I replaced my starter because of a different issue (it was shutting off and not turning back over). It's scary becuase I love this car and i dont wanna lose it. I took my wife out on our first date in this 88!!

Now when it shuts off, I can turn it back over. But not immediately. I have to let it sit for a while and then it turns right over after i have waited. And then it shuts off after 5 minutes of running. Sigh...

A couple of people said it was the fuel pump. A quick check on google leads me to believe it may be the fuel injectors. But I'm no mechanic. I was thinking maybe someone ran into the same problem and could help a fellow oldsmobiler out. Any help would be much appreciated!!

THANKS!!

Old 12-22-2012, 12:06 AM

I have had the same problems with my 91 88 royale, What happened to me a few times is whenever I filled the tank up with gas in the summer I could be on the highway later in the day and all of a sudden it would start losing power, and even when I pressed the pedal all the way to the ground it would not go faster than 40 mph. So what I did each time is pull over and shut off the engine for 5 minutes and it started up everytime like it should and it would accellerate like its supposed to, it never did die on me but I have always though it was some kind of vapor lock because it seemed to happen on very hot days. It could be the fuel filter or pump, which would seem likely if it is the original. let me know what you find out!! The engines in these cars last a long time if taken care of properly.

Old 03-03-2014, 09:54 AM

I had similar problems I replaced the electronic modulator , this unit controls
the ignition and sits close to the engine, and when the engine gets hot it affects this
unit over time , so I replaced it and mine runs fine now
Bob