Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here...

455 Olds

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 10:28 PM
Default 455 Olds

I'm thinking about installing a 455 Olds into my car but I had alot of questions about the engine. I've been doing alot of research but I'm still not sure about certain things as I've heard varying answers.

Which heads are considered best? I've heard C, E and F heads were some of the best but that you should make sure that they have the hardened seats in order to work with unleaded gas.

Then I was looking for a carb, mainly one with 800 cfm but I wanted to know how you could verify the difference between a 750 and 800 carb? Are their parts #'s on the carb that distinguish between the two? I've read online that the last # tells you the difference between auto/manual but nothing has told me how you can distinguish the 750/800...

Was also looking for a Toronado intake manifold but wasn't sure how I could tell the difference between that intake as well...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Last edited by DEEZPAZ; 04-28-2011 at 10:32 PM.
Old 05-01-2011, 03:52 PM

First what car are you working with?

As far as the heads go the conventional thinking is to just stay away from J heads for a performance build. G and G[size=1]A heads will have induction hardened exhaust valve seats, but you can get lead substitute from the parts store if you don't want to spend the money to have the seats redone. Also if you do have the seats redone make sure the shop doesn't try to install Chevy seats because they are too deep and he will cut into the water passage in the head.

The Q-jet question can be answered by doing a google search.

Old 05-01-2011, 10:59 PM

I have a 79 Trans Am and it originally had a 403 Olds.. I'm thinking about swapping them as all the same pieces can still be used like motor mounts, radiator cover, etc..