Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here...

timing chain

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 07:11 AM

I posted this under the 'Cutlass" forum also. Didn't want to miss the advice from this group though since it is engine related.

>>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;>> >>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;>> >>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;>> >>>>>>>>

I have a 1972 Cutlass that I bought new. It was not drivien for the last 10 or so years but garaged in a clean, dry garage.I started getting it back in driving shape last fall, new paint, seats, misc. external engine parts, new exhausts, etc.. It is a Rocket 350 with a 4BBL, originally single exhaust but I had new dual exhausts put on it this spring.

My question is this: It has 111K miles on the original engine and drive train. My only real concern in driving this car is the timing chain. Since changing or even checking the sprockets and chain is at least an all day affair, I am reluctant to begin the task. Not having worked with engines as a hobby I am not real sure, beyond what the shop manulal teslls me, of what I may run into.

Do you folksfeel that the milage warrents tearing the front end off and checking the chain or do you feel there is still probably plenty of life left in it? It will be driven probably less than a 1500 miles a year. Only on nice days and to local car events.

What is the average/estimated life of the chain and gears in that vinrage engine, or the recommend time to check it?

Thanks,

72 Olds