General Olds Chat Talk generally about Oldsmobile within...

Could use some objectivity:

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2023, 05:30 PM
Default Could use some objectivity:

Ok, I was the 2nd owner of a 1984 Olds Supreme. She is my love. BUT after years of putting a ton of money into her I had her leave my kids and I stranded from the timing chain going out. My plan was always to keep her and rebuild or fix her. At this point, though, I have an old Dodge Street Van that I just had the slant 6 rebuilt and then Holidays. Being a single mom and knowing that the, kids, the mountain dog and I use that van to make money and we fit comfortably in is validating to keep. The Cutty on the other hand, is Moms sweet luxury.
back to the timing: she has 166k original on a 3.8 . Again, a good list -as far as updates. It will cost me 1200 to fix the chain ( which I don’t have, right now)
my options:
tow it home let it sit until I 1)tow it AGAIN to replace or rebuild the engine -or-
2) cut my losses- tow it home - sell it and get finances together and once kids get older and go get an olds with t-tops ( that would be my dream car)
** if option 2 - is $3k a fair price for all original (a/c-heat works, no tears in interior. New brakes and brake lines, new fuel lines and fuel pump, suspension tight, original paperwork and booklets from dealer,etc…Rust on trunk lid , bumper , headliner loose. Two only bad parts about her.. well radio doesn’t work 😜

does that amount sound reasonable?

or do I just keep her 🤪

Old 03-02-2023, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by SweetSister
Ok, I was the 2nd owner of a 1984 Olds Supreme. She is my love. BUT after years of putting a ton of money into her I had her leave my kids and I stranded from the timing chain going out. My plan was always to keep her and rebuild or fix her. At this point, though, I have an old Dodge Street Van that I just had the slant 6 rebuilt and then Holidays. Being a single mom and knowing that the, kids, the mountain dog and I use that van to make money and we fit comfortably in is validating to keep. The Cutty on the other hand, is Moms sweet luxury.
back to the timing: she has 166k original on a 3.8 . Again, a good list -as far as updates. It will cost me 1200 to fix the chain ( which I don’t have, right now)
my options:
tow it home let it sit until I 1)tow it AGAIN to replace or rebuild the engine -or-
2) cut my losses- tow it home - sell it and get finances together and once kids get older and go get an olds with t-tops ( that would be my dream car)
** if option 2 - is $3k a fair price for all original and considering the vin check results https://epicvin.com/vin-decoder/dodge (a/c-heat works, no tears in interior. New brakes and brake lines, new fuel lines and fuel pump, suspension tight, original paperwork and booklets from dealer,etc…Rust on trunk lid , bumper , headliner loose. Two only bad parts about her.. well radio doesn’t work 😜

does that amount sound reasonable?

or do I just keep her 🤪

As for me, this amount sounds fair

Last edited by JamieRW; 03-07-2023 at 05:17 AM.