General Olds Chat Talk generally about Oldsmobile within...

Curious about 330s

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 09:47 PM

I have the chance to pick up a 330 block, pistons and rods. As far as I know they are all virgin, but there is no crank (which is really what I want to find). How much value is there in these if they really are in good shape? I'm just trying to decide if I want to try and find room on my trailer when I move.

Also how available are 330 cranks? And is anyone offering flywheels of pressure plates for them anymore?

Old 01-25-2007, 11:48 PM

The problem with the 330 is it uses the old flywheel bolt pattern and I think a different balancer. Also depending on the year they use a different lifter bank angle (39* or 45*) and a different lifer diameter (0.821 or 0.921). Also from what I have seen the 330 crank is steel. That's probably why it's missing from your combo.

I know a 350 crank would drop in the block with no issue. It also uses the same stroke as the 330. Using the 350 crank would solve the problem of the exotic balancer and flywheel/flexplate.

You would just need to confirm the year of manufacture for lifter size andbank angle for the cam.

Old 01-26-2007, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by svnt442

The problem with the 330 is it uses the old flywheel bolt pattern and I think a different balancer. Also depending on the year they use a different lifter bank angle (39* or 45*) and a different lifer diameter (0.821 or 0.921). Also from what I have seen the 330 crank is steel. That's probably why it's missing from your combo.

I know a 350 crank would drop in the block with no issue. It also uses the same stroke as the 330. Using the 350 crank would solve the problem of the exotic balancer and flywheel/flexplate.

You would just need to confirm the year of manufacture for lifter size andbank angle for the cam.

Well, while I appreciate the reply it's over a year too late. I'm now 2000 miles away from where I was back then and I'm sure the engine is long gone since it was an eBay auction.

I already know about the different parts. That's why I was wondering about the availability. If I was looking for a 350 crank I could just run to the local salvage yard.

Thanks anyway.Edited by: SirLDragon