General Olds Chat Talk generally about Oldsmobile within...

Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 07:44 PM
Default Help

I had recently picked up a "barn find" 69 toro that had been sitting for 37 years. The owner did a lot of the prep work to get it ready to drive and I picked it up in Dallas with intention of driving to Austin. After 150 miles of sweet running I started hearing a light knocking sound (I'm thinking lifter) and after a while I stopped for gas and the oil pressure light started flickering on and off. You guessed it. I spun a rod. After getting lots of great advice from a lot of smart people, I decided to spend the money and do a complete rebuild, staying stock. Since this was a numbers matching car with a very rare option set I thought why not even through it hurt the bank. Today the engine removal was complete and guess what? Not a numbers matching car and it appears that the engine is already a rebuilt one. I am now second guessing everything about the car in general and the drive train in particular. The car is still worth investing in for a number of other reasons, but now it is looking more like a fun semi-daily driver rather than a show candidate so I have more decisions to make. If the heads check out tomorrow as true Toro 455s, then I can continue on the path of rebuild. The shop also thinks I might want to consider a crate short block if the heads are good, long block if not and save some money on the manual rebuild. Questions: what would you do? If crate, where would I get one? Stay stock or kick it up a notch on rebuild? If I kick it up, what and also where again can I find it?

Very sorry for the long note, but I'm still PISSED and babbling a bit.

Mitch (the Sucker)

Also, where can I find a Toro oil pan and dip stick tube and stick (Yes, they are F-ed up too)

Old 01-21-2011, 02:06 AM

how was the performance of the vehicle. if your give some positive points i am also planning to buy

Old 01-21-2011, 04:21 AM

The pan and dipstick have to come from another Toro unfortunately.
As far as a crate engine? Not gonna happen. Even if you have small valve heads (1.99 intakes) you can install 2.07 valves in their place quite easily. Just make sure they guy doing it is knowledgeable about Olds Heads. They are NOT Chevy heads and can't be machined the same way.

If you are willing to spend some money on the rebuild and have the engine shipped in you might want to consider contacting Bill Trovato at BTR Performance http://www.btrperformance.com/ . He does some of the best Olds work you will find. Unfortunately I think he's in NY.

Last edited by svnt442; 01-22-2011 at 03:52 AM.
Old 01-21-2011, 04:50 AM

Positive points on a Toronado. When running they are a great car to drive. Plenty of smooth power GREAT highways cruisers and generation 1 (66-70) are major head turners and conversation starters. Some don;t like the look, but I love it because it is unusual (clearly Jay Leno agrees since he drives a 66) Power, plenty. If running normally a stock Toronado will light up both front tires no problem. That is more impressive when you consider that fact that a massive heavy Olds V8 is sitting on top of them as well as the weight of a transmission. They are the best muscle car buy on the planet. I would recogmend that you find a 66-67 since parts are easier to find and more parts are manufactured. The reason I went with 69 is because it is more unique due to several feature like rear window defroster, 3" longer and slight rear fins and the last of the hidden headlights.

If you get serious and start looking at one, let me know and I can help you not make some of my mistakes.

Mitch

Old 01-21-2011, 04:54 AM

The oil pan and stick are very hard to find, but I may have a lead on a set from a 70 toro. I might have consdered sending the engine out, but I already have a local shop working on it. It will be interesting because I found that the engine was not numbers matching, since I decided to mod it slightly and are going with a full roller setup and high compression pistons (9.5)

I'm looking for around 420HP

Mitch

Old 08-17-2011, 12:42 AM
Pau

Originally Posted by Torotoro
The oil pan and stick are very hard to find, but I may have a lead on a set from a 70 toro. I might have consdered sending the engine out, but I already have a local shop working on it. It will be interesting because I found that the engine was not numbers matching, since I decided to mod it slightly and are going with a full roller setup and high compression pistons (9.5)

I'm looking for around 420HP

Mitch
Wow that's awesome mate.. I agree the oil pan for that is very hard to find. So, do yo already fix this car? Mind posting some picture of it? I'm sure it was awesome.

Last edited by Pau; 08-17-2011 at 08:28 PM.
Old 08-17-2011, 06:16 PM

The car is still in process, but here is a picture of the front grill that I restored and blacked out. Then there is a picture of the engine with the valve covers off so you can see the roller rockers and the a picture of the nice wiring job.

Attached Thumbnails Help-photo-2-.jpg   Help-photo-7-.jpg   Help-photo-5-.jpg  
Old 08-17-2011, 06:24 PM
Default Better pics

Here are some better pics

Attached Thumbnails Help-photo-4-.jpg   Help-photo-6-.jpg