General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

01 alero wont start

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 08:17 AM

This morning my car wouldnt turn over, it tries but nothing happens. Maybe its not getting fuel? I know its not the starter or the battery.

I dont know muchfixing cars, im not sure if you can help but Id thought id try. Yesterday it was running fine.

Old 08-15-2007, 03:39 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to O.F!

Try posting in the section dedicated to the Alero, you will get more specific help there.

What engine and how many miles does your car have? Did the security light flash after you tried starting it?

Try listening for the fuel pump. After the car has been sitting for a couple hours, turn the key to the on position (not all the way right to the start position). You should be able to hear the fuel pump in the fuel tank running for a couple seconds. It makes a low whirring noise that's not very loud.

Are you sure it has gas? Alero gas gauges are not very accurate, at least mine isn't. Let us know the answers, maybe we can fix your problem.

Old 08-15-2007, 09:55 PM

a 3400 SFI v6?

i think it has about 96,000 miles on it? We had the ignition thing go, where it doesnt let you turn the key.

I just tried that, i heard the fuel pump, and the sercurity light DID flash.

i will also try posting in the alero section, sorry about the mistake

Old 08-16-2007, 07:12 PM
Super Moderator

When you had the ignition problem (key won't turn) did you replace the switch?

It sounds like you may have Passlock problems. Basically Passlock is a stupid way for GM to try to prevent someone from stealing your car by breaking the ignition cylinder. It detects whether or not the correct key is in the cylinder when it is turned. If the key is correct, the computer allows fuel to the engine. If the wrong key is detected, no fuel is allowed, and the security light flashes. Sounds great, right?

BUT, when the cylinder or the key get worn down a bit, they won't appear to be the correct key anymore, and so the computer thinks the car is being stolen, and cuts off fuel. A heavy keychain or dirty key can also cause this. You can try to use the least worn key you have. That may work for a little while. You can also try to do a security relearn. That is not a permanent solution either, but it worked for me for about 6 months. Here's how: Put the key in the ignition and turn it to the ON position (do not try to start it). The security light should flash. Leave the key there for ten minutes. The security light should go out. Turn the key off, then start the car. You may have to do this a couple times, and it gets annoying after a while, but it'll help.

Also, read here: https://oldsmobileforum.com/forum_po...?TID=1225& PN=1