General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

2001 Oldsmobile Aurora Over heating

Old 06-11-2018, 07:23 PM

I even took Thermostat out completely and it still overheats.

I took intake off and checked the passages that heat the throttle body and all was Ok there

the car only seems to overheat if I drive it on the Freeway at 70 miles per hour if i drive at 45 to 50 it seems to maintain temperature

the Radiator is new

then I realized I never reinstalled the air dam under the car so I installed that and took it for a drive at 70 and still overheats

I must have air in the system I will try to make a way to bleed it

Old 07-17-2018, 09:32 PM

Update the Overheating problem is finally fixed. After I replaced the water pump last year I just ran around town for a month and a half so it never overheated.
the Water Pump I had gotten from AutoZone had a metal Impeller that had vanes that were 3/32 of an inch less tall than the one I took out but I didnt realize it. But because the pump had shorter Vanes they were not as efficient and didnt pump as much fluid as the old one did at 2000RPM. so when I was cruising at highway speeds in overdrive and the engine was spinning slow the AUTOZONE water pump was not pumping enough fluid thru the radiator. causing it to overheat then blow the water out the overflow then you run low on water and really overheat. SO I went to Junk yard so I knew I was getting OEM Pump and I took it home and compared it against the Autozone pump and the impellers on the OEM pump extend above the gasket surface 0.5 inches. and the impeller is Plastic. This water pump kept my car cool cruising at 70 to 80 miles per hour for 20 miles straight on a day that was 90 degrees NO problem....................SO Beware of water pumps they should measure 1/2 inch above the gasket surface. This cost me a lot of money and aggrivation I was ready to sell car for 500 buck. Now it is worth 2500 again.