General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

83 Cutlass with a tick in the carb

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2006, 01:19 AM

Hey gang, I'm new here and about to kill myself. Can any one help a brother out with this. The ticking is coming on when I turn the key to run. I don't have to start the car. It only lasts for a minute and then cycles off. Is this normal? It's coming from the TPS. When I disconnect that it quits.

The main problem I'm having is the I cannot get the engine to idle. It dies as soon as I take my foot off the gas.

What I have done to it.....It only has 43000 original well mantained miles on it. I just put in a rebuilt motor. The fuel pump is new. All electrical connections seem to be hooked up. The engine sounds real good, I just can't get the idle set on the thing. Also, it was doing this before I took the engine out.

Any help would be appriciated.

Darren

Old 04-16-2006, 04:17 AM

YES THE TICK NOISE IS NORMAL , THIS IS THE MIXTURE CONTROL

SOLENOID IN THE CARB

HAVE YOU CHECKED FOR VACUUM LEAK \ WHEN YOU SET BASE TIMING

DID YOU PUT COMPUTER IN LIMP MODE FIRST IF YOU DIDNT THE TIMING

IS MOST LIKELY TO RETARDED AND NEEDS TO BE ADVANCED

Old 04-16-2006, 11:33 AM

I did finally figure that out. Thanks a ton for the response. I am still having trouble with everything on the carb. The engine seems fine, but it might need a new carb now.

I think the TPS isn't working. I'm just not real good with adjustments like this, but I'm going to try again today, with a helper, and see if I can get it to stop dying at stop lights. I am also getting a code 21 and 41 and 44. I'm trying to get those off and not to come back on. Seems like the carb again. Will probably buy a rebuilt one in the next week or so. Can you tell me if I am killing the car by running it with these codes? or am I just going to be getting poor performance for a week or two. I will stop driving it, if it might damage things in the short term.

Thanks for any help.

Darren

Old 04-16-2006, 01:20 PM

its been a while since ive dealt with the older codes and im not real

familiar with them any more , but before replacing the carb i would find the code defintions and you may find they share a comon circuit or may be related to your actual problem