General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

The 92 Cutlass 3.1 that just won't run!

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 09:23 PM
Default The 92 Cutlass 3.1 that just won't run!

It's a long sad story that already went on for two pages or more and they probably got tired of it cause I don't see it here anymore but since I last posted a couple months ago I figured it was time to bother ya'll some more so here goes. She barely ran so I ended up replacing the fuel tank, pump, filter, relay and lines, every single thing the codes called out till I got the codes cleared, somebody said the convertor was clogged so I sawed that off and straight piped it, I bought a plastic syringe off e-bay and tried to suction out the fuel rail with no result, all she will do is start right up like a normal car and run for 30 seconds and stop and you can do that all day long like she runs out of gas or something. Since I put on the new fuel line there ia a junction near the fuel rail so I disconnected there and ran a rubber hose into a glass jar so I could watch and when I turn the key gas flows for a second and stops, I checked with a continuity tester at the fuel pump relay and sure enough it only gets power for a second then stops for what reason I do not know. Here's a clue, around last Christmas or new years ( yeah, I've been working on it that long and longer) I replaced the main computer but the guy at Autozone said he couldn't match up the number so I took what he had for a 92 3.1, I know I took a chance but if you listen to every nutty thing some of these guys say you'll never get anywhere, anyhow it was late at night and I figured I would roll the dice but of course I had to trade in my old computer and if I had it to do over again I would have got the replacement and paid full price till I was sure and then given up my old one but that didn't happen and today all I can figure is the dang computer ain't right and that's what's shutting down the pump and I don't even have the numbers off the old one so I can backtrack, I am in busteddowntown with no way back.. I even tried hotwiring it and only ended up blowing the fuse. I know where there is a Cutlass in the scrapyard and I'll try to buy the computer out of it instead of shelling out another $100 for a new one that probably won't be any better. Any real wrenches out there?

Old 09-11-2011, 08:43 PM
Default still wrenching, still cussing

Have you ever been at the point on a repair job where you say to yourself "so that's the answer!" and all you have to do is get to the parts store and you figure the problem will be solved ? I've been at that point something like ten times in a year and a half on this Oldsmobile and it still won't run. Got the computer from the junkyard Olds and no change at all from the other one I got from autozone nine months ago, runs for 30 seconds and dies. Also got the fuel pressure regulator from the junk Olds since I cut mine open to see what's inside, if anyone wants to know what is inside one let me know, but it didn't help either. Guy at the yard said oil sender can trigger engine shutoff so I'll rip that off next but the dash gauge reads good for the 30 seconds the motor runs. I've already replaced the Olds with a bee-u-tee-ful 1985 Silverado four wheel drive that is a joy to turn a wrench on compared to the gutlass, maybe I'll post a picture if that's possible.(sorry, the attachment process here requires some braincell that I lack) stay tuned for further developments.