General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

95 Olds Cutlass 3.4 L

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 09:01 PM

< src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" =text/>
</>
I have a 1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Convertible. For a 13 year old car I think it is in very good shape but it does have one problem that is about to drive me crazy and noone has been able to diagnose it so far.

From the beginning... When I bought this car almost two years ago it had an erratic idle problem that was worse in cold weather. On startup the rpm would go up and down and sometimes it would stall. Once the car warmed up this problem would go away and sometimes it didn't seem to happen at all.

It also, under the right circumstances, get up to 40 miles per hour on city streets w/o me even touching the gas. This makes city driving very annoying and, I think, it is putting my city mpg in the toilet.

I found a vacuum leak in one of the hoses leading to the little vacuum ball located at the front of the car. While replacing the intake manifold gaskets I found another leak in the hose that runs off the back of the rear intake manifold.

The eratic idle (the up and down at startup) is gone now but the car still runs fast on its own. The weird thing is that while in motion the rpm will get as high as 2000 sometimes but when I bring the car to a stop it settles down to around 1000.

I'm also having trouble with my brakes. The pedal feels like a brick when I step on it. I don't think this is related though because the check valve on the master cylinder seems to be working.

Do I have another vacuum leak that I can't find or is it something else? Two mechanics have come up with two different diagnosis that didn't fix the problem.

P.S. I've replaced the Mass Air Flow sensor, the TPS, the Idle Air control motor with no results.

HELP!

Clay
< =text/>
_uacct = "UA-939292-46";
urchinTracker();
</>