General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Front Fog lamps

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 12:51 PM

I have an Oldsmobile 1999 Alero 2.4 sedan.

The problem is, the front fog lamps cannot be turned off.

I start the engine, I turn on main front lights, and the front fog lamps automatically lit.
The fog lamps are not turned on by fog lamp switch, but front fog lamps are lit always, when i turn on main head lamps.
Back fog lamps are lit only when I turn them on by fog lamp switch.

Can anyone help me? Is problem with on board computer?

Thanks a lot

Peter

Old 10-12-2007, 10:16 PM
Super Moderator

What do you mean by "back fog lamps"? Are you talking about the parking lights (red in the back and yellow in the front)?

The fog lamps are the ones below the headlights. The switch to the left of the steering wheel should turn them off. They should also go off when the headlights are on the bright setting (also called high). Try putting the headlights on bright and see if the fog lamps are still on.

Old 10-13-2007, 01:26 AM

Thank you for your answer.

When everything was correct, when I turned the fog lamps on, then front fog lamps was lit and additional red lights at the back (I CALL THEM "BACK FOG LAMPS" :-) ) was lit.

For now, the situation is as follows:

NOTE: I have not turn on the fog lamps (the led light on fog lamp switch not lit)!!!
1. I turn on the parking lights, the front fog lamps lit also! that is bad (The "back fog lamps" not, that is ok) (I hear a "click" from front passengers side fog lamp TOP RELAY - called "relay export" in the manual)

2. I turn on the main lights, the front fog lamps lit also!, that is bad (The "back fog lamps" not, that is ok)

3. I turn on high beam lamps, the fog lamps still lit!!!!!!!!!!!!, that is bad (The "back fog lamps" not) (I dont hear a "click" from front passengers side ANY fog lamp relay)

NOTE: I turn on the fog lamps. (the led light on fog lamp switch lit)
1. The front fog lamp lit, that is ok, and the back fog lamp is lit, that is also ok. (I hear a "click" from front passengers side fog lamp BOTTOM relay - called "relay fog lps" in the manual)

Peter

Old 10-13-2007, 07:56 PM
Super Moderator

If the relays have the same part number on them, try removing them and putting the top one in the bottom postion, and the bottom one in the top position. Maybe that will help you find out if one of them is bad or sticking.