General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

GM 3.8 Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2006, 09:45 PM

My first post.... This issue just came up a week ago. We've done nearly everything that would seem obvious, so I wanted to get some input from the forum.

My wife was driving her '92 Olds Silhouette (w/3.8 engine) for about 45 minutes when she decided to stop for gas. When she went to start it back up, it would turn over but not start. After letting it sit for about 30 minutes, it started fine. She then drove it for another 15 minutes before it shut off and she coasted to the side of the road. This is the pattern that has continued ever since.

All three coil packs have been replaced, but the problem is still there. The control module under the coil packs was replaced, but that didn't fix the problem either. The Silhouette is getting fuel, because when it's cranked, you can get fuel to come out of the fuel line valve under the hood. Thus, it's probably not the fuel pump or the relay.

I'm open to any ideas. At this point, the next thing for us to try is the Crankshaft Position Sensor.

Old 07-11-2006, 09:51 PM

I'm having the exact problem with my 97 Eighty Eight. It runs great...after 30 min or so, just dies. I coast to the shoulder and it usually starts like there was nothing wrong. Ten minutes later, it will do the same thing.

So far I replaced the front O2 sensor, with no luck. Also cleaned out the mass airflow sensor...no luck. There is a TSB for a similar problem, but I don't know how to find the recommended repair:

bulletin # 050604058 Vehicle speed control

Old 07-11-2006, 11:08 PM
Super Moderator

Fuel filters can get clogged and "self clear"...until the sediment reclogs it. It's happened to me before.

Worth a shot.

C.J.Edited by: texasred

Old 07-12-2006, 12:13 PM

The TSB for this is saying to replace the Throttle Position sensor. This TSB covers all 3800 V6 vin K - RPO L36 engines. I'm going to change out mine today...will let you know if it solved the problem.

Old 07-13-2006, 03:06 PM

Well, I changed out the Throttle Position sensor, and after 1 day of driving, the stalling problem seems to be resolved. [img]smileys/smiley20.gif[/img]

Old 07-13-2006, 04:22 PM

[img]smileys/smiley7.gif[/img]Back to square 1! Car just stalled at highway speeds. Pulled over, and it started with a little hesitation. Time to get to a professional.[img]smileys/smiley7.gif[/img]

Old 07-18-2006, 07:02 PM

<table border="0" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1" height="14" width="100%"><t><tr><td class="smText" background="" bgcolor="#f4f4fb" valign="top"></span>
</td>
<td class="text" background="" bgcolor="#f4f4fb" valign="top">
<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%">
<t><tr>
<td class="smText" width="60%">
</td>
<td align="right" width="30%">
</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td colspan="2"><hr></td>
</tr>
</t></table>

Here is what my mechanic told me...

The
computer gave a code that that Crankshaft Position Sensor was bad. He
said that may very well be the case. It's $50 labor and the part is
around $25. However, he said that 99% of the time, it's not actually
the crankshaft posiiton sensor. There is a magnet on the end of the
crankshaft that gets misaligned, causing the CPS to give a bad
reading. That is a lot more labor - $250. I haven't gotten it fixed
yet, but will give him the go-ahead tomorrow.
</td></tr></t></table>

Old 08-13-2006, 04:17 PM

Um, sounds like an ignition module, they get hot, and shut down.

Old 08-21-2006, 12:00 PM

Finally got the Crank sensor changed out, and car is still stalling. UB - I think I'll try the ignition mod. I'm also starting to think it might be the main computer. This is very frustrating!!!!![img]smileys/smiley7.gif[/img][img]smileys/smiley7.gif[/img]

Old 08-21-2006, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by spo36
Finally got the Crank sensor changed out, and car is still stalling. UB - I think I'll try the ignition mod. I'm also starting to think it might be the main computer. This is very frustrating!!!!![img]smileys/smiley7.gif[/img][img]smileys/smiley7.gif[/img]
for me, the magnet on the end of the camshaft and the sensor there were the problem. It fixed it quite nicely!