General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

header install ’’64 F-85

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 01:58 PM

I have a 64 olds f-85 with a later model olds 350. Am having trouble getting headers to fit.I bought them from mondello performance and the salesman said they were specially fabricated to bolt right on. After lifting the motor slightly to install them,I lowered the engine only to find it won''t rest back on the motor mounts,the primary tubes hit on the crossmember on both sides. I''ve considered several options to get them to fit, notching the crossmember and/or raising the motor slightly seemto me to be the best way to go,am I on the right track here? Also I assumed they would look about the same from the bottom as far as where the collectors are located but they don''t. The left one looks fine, but the right one hangs lower and shorter. Is this common? This is only the 2nd time I''ve installed a set of headers, and I don''t remember the others hanging this way. Could I have gotten a mismatched set? Any help with this is very much appreciated,thank you.

Old 03-01-2009, 05:57 PM

I have a 65 olds f- 85 cuttlassand have same problem. was told only way to fit headerswas to have custom bent at best or believe it or not a "big block" would work with headers. I would check custom benders. Don''t be discouraged . I''ve been there.

Originally Posted by 1964 F-85 442
I have a 64 olds f-85 with a later model olds 350. Am having trouble getting headers to fit.I bought them from mondello performance and the salesman said they were specially fabricated to bolt right on. After lifting the motor slightly to install them,I lowered the engine only to find it won''''t rest back on the motor mounts,the primary tubes hit on the crossmember on both sides. I''''ve considered several options to get them to fit, notching the crossmember and/or raising the motor slightly seemto me to be the best way to go,am I on the right track here? Also I assumed they would look about the same from the bottom as far as where the collectors are located but they don''''t. The left one looks fine, but the right one hangs lower and shorter. Is this common? This is only the 2nd time I''''ve installed a set of headers, and I don''''t remember the others hanging this way. Could I have gotten a mismatched set? Any help with this is very much appreciated,thank you.