General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 09:01 PM

I have a 1998 Oldsmobile Achieva. It has always run great until recently.

I replaced the water pump and i know of a hole in the radiator.

Now i dont know ALOT about cars but i do know a good amount.

I went to get gas and it was fine and then went to start it to leave and now it wont even turn over. My lights are nice and bright and everything inside turns on including the gauges and interior lights. It just wont crank or anything. I have always had problems with the ignition switch. You would have to wiggle it real hard in order for it to connect and turn the car on.

Do you think this could be the reason it wont start?

please help if you can... this is my only means of transportation and hitchin rides are getting old.
thanks.
</span></span>

Old 01-28-2009, 12:03 AM
Super Moderator

I would get a new ignition switch, sounds like the problem.

Old 02-16-2009, 02:10 PM

well before you tear your steering column apart, what part was acting up before the failiure? was it the actual key and tumbler? or the electronic switch that the tumbler moves to activate the electronics? if you had to jiggle the key to get it to change positions, then the lock and tumbler is bad. if it turned ok but just didnt activate any of the electronics, then your switch may be the problem. not terribly expensive, but a little time consuming to install, especially if you arent familiar with tearing apart a steering column