General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Help with spit-n-sputter

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 03:22 PM
Default Help with spit-n-sputter

I need some help with my Olds 350. I've got an early 70's Olds 350 in my dirt track car, usually its VERY strong but I had to pull it out to replace the pan gasket and while it was out we put a 307 in the car for my nephew to play a couple of weeks. When we put it back in it just didn't quite run right. It spit and sputtered and hesitated when accelerating. My first thought was the carb (Q-jet) was all dirted up...we put a different carb (Holley 4412) on it and its still doing the same thing. Any ideas? My mechanic is a prety good all around tech but he deals mostly with SBC and my technical abilities are...well limited to the steering wheel and paint jobs... Any ideas as to what I can try?

Old 09-30-2009, 09:08 PM

Did you pull the distributor when you did the swap? If so have to confirmed the firing order? Seeing as your guy is a chevy man you'd better check the rotation of the order as well as the order it self.

Old 09-30-2009, 09:20 PM

yes we did pull the distributor, and I was thinking there was something different about the wires. I don't know if he took that into consideration when he wired it back up. Do you know where I could see a diagram as to how the distribitor is supposed to be wired. He did check compression on one of the cylinders (8) and it was low...He chose that one to check because he was checking to see if a cylinder was missing by pulling the wires off the dist and the engine didn't change when he pulled that one.

Last edited by teach992; 09-30-2009 at 09:23 PM.