General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

ignition control module

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 05:52 PM

I have a 89 cutlass calais that used to run great.That was until i pulled a friends car with it. After I turned it off the car would not start. I waited til the morning tried again. It started and ran for five minutes then died and it hasnt started since. I was told by a friend that it wasnt getting any spark and that it was the control module. Im not much of a mechanic but I am slowly learning. If someone could tell me if this sounds like the control module and where it is located that would be great. Edited by: kswitch

Old 09-06-2007, 08:36 PM
Super Moderator

THE MAIN REQUIREMENTS FOR A ENGINE TO RUN ARE FUEL AND SPARK. CHECK FUEL SUPPLY AND CHECK FOR SPARK. THEN BACKTRACK AND ELIMINATE THE PROBLEM . IS YOUR FUEL SUPPLY GOOD? PULL A SPARK PLUG WIRE AND TURN THE ENGINE AND CHECK FOR SPARK. PLEASE DONT USE YOUR BARE HANDS , YOU MIGHT GET THE HOLY SQUAT SYNDROM. KEEP US POSTED. WITHOUT THE USE OF THE PROPER TOOLS TO CHECK THE SPARK YOU MIGHT GET THE BROWN STREAKS IN YOUR UNDERWEAR.

Old 09-06-2007, 08:54 PM

The fuel supply has been checked. It has half a tank. The spark has been checked.No spark.What I was told was the control module is basically the first part of the spark and with the module being burned out there would be no spark. I've done some smaller car repair before but never a control module. This isa whole new thing to me.Im hoping with what Ive explained in my first post that maybe someone may have experienced the same thing and may point me in the right direction. The module isnt a cheap part and im not the richest so Im hoping I can avoid buying a unneccesary part.

Old 09-06-2007, 09:16 PM
Super Moderator

I WILL TELL YOU WHAT I HAVE DONE IN THE PAST. I HAVE A FRIEND IN THE AUTO PARTS BUSINESS. I WILL ASK HIM IF HE HAS A CONTROL MODULE IN STOCK . IF HE DOES I WILL LOOK AT IT AND GO TO MY CAR AND FIND IT UNDER THE HOOD. RAISE THE HOOD AND GET IN THERE AMOUNGST THEM PARTS. GOOD LUCK .....

Old 09-06-2007, 09:32 PM

I greatly appreciate your willingness to help a poor schmuck such as myself,Thank You