General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Steering knuckle

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 04:29 PM
Default Steering knuckle

I need to change my hub and bearing assembly. Once i take the old hub/bearing out , what do you guys recommend to use to clean out the inside of the steering knuckle, where the new bearing will sit. I was told if you dont clean it out properly with the oxidation and all, it wont have a good ground and will burn out the new bearings quicker.

Thanks

02 Aler0 3.4

Old 01-25-2010, 08:32 AM
Super Moderator

Emery cloth works good for that. Use that and some WD-40.

Old 01-29-2010, 02:54 AM
Wink Steering Knuckle

A forging that usually includes the spindle and steering arm, and allows the front wheel to pivot.

Old 01-29-2010, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by elate
A forging that usually includes the spindle and steering arm, and allows the front wheel to pivot.
?????

Old 01-29-2010, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by rustyballs_69
Emery cloth works good for that. Use that and some WD-40.
Thanks Rusty, sounds good. Good old WD-40 !

By the way, if my right bearing is bad, would it not make sense that when turning the vehicle to the Left, you would get all the noise?

because i am getting noise when i turn to the right? And it is the right bearing thats bad, 99.99% I jacked the car up , spun the wheels left tire is quiet, right has vibration and noise, plus an ABS scan showed up right side bad.

Old 01-29-2010, 08:44 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by elate
He didn't ask what a steering knuckle was, please read before you post.

Originally Posted by wutagoalie
Thanks Rusty, sounds good. Good old WD-40 !

By the way, if my right bearing is bad, would it not make sense that when turning the vehicle to the Left, you would get all the noise?

because i am getting noise when i turn to the right? And it is the right bearing thats bad, 99.99% I jacked the car up , spun the wheels left tire is quiet, right has vibration and noise, plus an ABS scan showed up right side bad.
Yes you are right about the bearing. If you are turning left and hear the noise the right bearing is bad, 99% of the time. If thats what is showing up with an ABS scanner I would say that its the right side 100%.

Old 01-30-2010, 09:29 PM

So why do you think the noise is present when i turn to the right then? If i turn the the right, the left tire should be taking the load. the mechanic that scanned the code for me said something about a weight transfer mechanism that distributes the weight when turning??
I have no idea!

Old 02-02-2010, 08:51 PM
Super Moderator

I don't know about any weight transfer mechanism, doesn't mean it doesn't have one though. It could be a upper strut mount. I know mine make a **** load of noise right now.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:12 AM

Would the upper strut mount make a loud noise similar to a bad bearing?

If so, how do you repair the strut mount? and is it fairly simple?

Old 02-05-2010, 10:14 PM

bump...

Quick Reply: Steering knuckle