General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Transmission problem, kickdown?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 05:22 AM

<DIV>I am not actually an Olds owner, but I am seriously considering buying one, in fact I probably will buy one if I can figure this problem out! I saw this '89 eighty eight for sale, with the 3800 V-6, and 90k miles. They were willing to let it go for $700, maybe even less. Almost perfect paint and body andinterior was very nice (excluding the hedliner). The only problem, besides the infamous alternator, is that the transmission slipped when starting off in 1st gear. It shudders a little bit then catches and seems to run up through the rest of the gears without a problem. It's much worse when starting slowly as opposed to just stomping on it.I put it in reverse a few times and didn't notice any shuddering. </DIV>
<DIV>Another issue, which I'm not sure if it's just characteristic of this car, is when I punched it going about 30, the kickdown didn't occur until a few seconds later (but when it did I was very pleased with it's power [img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]). </DIV>
<DIV>I'm hoping that both problems are just a kickdown (or "passing gear", as I've heard it reffered to sometimes) adjustment problem, wishful thinking? If the transmission isshot, how much would it cost toreplace it, and is it possible for a home mechanic to do it?If it weren't for this deffect I'd be off to the bank tomorrow for 700 cash! I've heard nothing but good things about that engine, and I'm reallylooking forward to suprising rice runners with a "Granny Car" [img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img].</DIV>

Old 10-26-2006, 07:45 PM
Super Moderator

If it's as sweet as you say,for $700 I'd ****** it.

First order of business would be changing the transmission fluid and filter. That just might do ya.

C.J.