General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

We still can't find fuel problem. Please help.

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 05:25 PM
Question We still can't find fuel problem. Please help.

Hello everyone,
My father has an '83 olds cutlass ciera 2.5L and its not getting gas. First I pulled out the fuel injector then turned on the ingnition and alot of gas did come flyinging out of the hole. So I assumed it was the injector, bought a new one, installed it and still no gas sprays out when we turn over the engine. My dad hooked up his ohms meter to the fuel injector plug (just the plug) while I was cranking the motor and he said it read 15 volts...? Does anyone have any idea what our problem could be? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Old 03-31-2011, 10:11 PM
Super Moderator

So before you replaced the injector, gas came out the injector when you cranked the engine, or did you leave the injector installed in the engine and gas came out the disconnected injector line?

After cranking for a little bit with everything installed as it should be, pull a spark plug and see if it is wet with fuel. If it is, you probably have an ignition problem, not a fuel problem.
How did you determine it wasn't getting gas?

Old 04-01-2011, 04:22 PM
Question

Originally Posted by Iflylow
So before you replaced the injector, gas came out the injector when you cranked the engine, or did you leave the injector installed in the engine and gas came out the disconnected injector line?

After cranking for a little bit with everything installed as it should be, pull a spark plug and see if it is wet with fuel. If it is, you probably have an ignition problem, not a fuel problem.
How did you determine it wasn't getting gas?
I took of the air filter cover and air filter and watched the fuel injector with a flash light while my dad cranked the engine over. No gas comes out.

Before I replaced the injector, I pulled the old one out and had my dad turn the key and gas came flyin out of the throttle body from the port where the old injector was installed. So I know its not the fuel pump.
Still no gas from the new injector thats currently installed. My dad also replaced the distributor module and still nothing. The only thing I can think of now is maybe the wirs or plug to the module is bad....?

Old 04-03-2011, 04:35 PM
Super Moderator

I would also guess it's a wiring issue. You need to find out what the voltage is supposed to be at the injector to get it to open.
How hard would it be to just temporarily jury rig completely new wires from the module to the injector connector? At least then you could tell if it was wiring.