Intrigue Talk about the Oldsmobile Intrigue within...

Electrical Issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2006, 01:28 PM

Hello

I have had some problems with my 2000 Intrigue as of late. Sometimes my turn signals don't work. If I hit the hazard light button on and off a couple of times they start to work again. Then, a couple of weeks ago a few lights on my stereo went out (AM/FM, Volume, Clock). Well now it seems that the lights in the shifter (were there any in the first place?) seem to have gone out. I'm not certain that there were any there to begin with but it's pitch black in the dark and I have to rely on the instrument panel to know when I'm putting it in drive, reverse, etc. Well...then last week the headlights started dimming and getting brighter again sporadically. Does anyone know what's causing this problem? and if so, how do I fix it?

thank you for your time.

Old 06-12-2006, 04:20 PM

My sisters 2001 GLS has EXACTLY this problem too!

So far I have replaced the battery, at the recommendation of the dealer and I have replace the turn signal switch... a $120 partwith no luck... Does anyone have a solution to this?

Old 06-12-2006, 04:40 PM

trelander, that actually sounds like you've got a short in the battery harness somewhere. Or possibly on the fuse block under the hood. Check for loose ground wire connections and any corrosion buildup on the battery terminals. Sometimes the battery harness is just enough for the system it is supplying power to, and if anything happens to the harness, like a short or a loose connection, it can throw alot of the system out of what due to voltage irregularities.

-ImpalaMan

Old 06-20-2006, 02:52 PM

After some investigation on my Sister's GLS, ground is good, power is good, switch is good, wiring is good, etc... It turns out that her BCM is toast... OK, actually ONE $0.75 relay on her BCM is toast but that is enough to garbage the whole thing since GM chose to solder the mechanical relays onto the BCM rather then use replaceable ones in socketsor use solid state ones that last forever (and cost $2.00 each).... Arrgh!

The good news is the BCM is relatively cheap (only $200 installed and programmed) But come on GM... have you ever read about this thing called serviceability... Its an awesome concept... try it sometime!

Old 08-29-2006, 03:00 PM

[img]smileys/smiley6.gif[/img] I have been having numerous dash board light/electrical problems. So I had it serviced & all have been fixed & all led to work needed to be done. It was quite costly because I was charged a 106.00 diagnosis fee for each light on. Work done on my 98 Olds Intrigue with 178,000 miles was right hub bearing work which fixed the ABS light on, ignition key lock system had to be rebuilt and this set off the systems & security lights, new heavy duty battery neededto turn off the battery light; then an oil change & 4 new tires with wheel alignment & some important engine belt (not fan belt) & the horn needed to be fixed. As a result, I will be eating canned beans for a few months.

But when the mechanic called to tell me it was ready he said they took it for a ride to test it all & the air bag light went on. I asked if this would cause a safety issue & he said "no". I asked then why does it go on...all the other lights were linked to a problem & he stated that it just means that your airbags wont work. I told them that he is responsible for all work that he worked on & asked him to fix it for free. Keeping this shorter than I would like to say, he agreed after I asked him how he would feel if her heard his wife telling him this story. He said that he would rather be driving in a car without air bags because of the damage they can cause a driver or passenger, but the choicewas mine. So after he checks his own work, he'll call back.

Any ideas? Could use help before talking to him again today...if anyone is out there who knows about this model car. Thanks