Intrigue Talk about the Oldsmobile Intrigue within...

Troubling Issue....SOS

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2006, 11:43 AM

Hey Fellas,
I've been working on my mothers 98 Intrigue for a while. Let me give you the story. She was driving home from work when both fan relays died. So the car climbed in engine temperature. She didn't want to have it towed, so she drove it to my house. Well, by the time she got there, the intake plenum was cracked, the rear head gasket was cracked, etc. Over the course of the past month (since the sun has been going down early in the winter) I have torn down the engine to the block, had the heads tested/rebuilt, re-installed the heads with new head bolts & new gaskets, new lower intake manifold gaskets and new upper intake plenum. I did drain the coolant contaminated oil and filled it with thicker oil for the course of the work in order to keep the bearings soaking in oil instead of coolant. After I had reinstalled everything, hooked it all up, and replaced the radiator (was gonna get it cleaned out, but the lower core was so gunked up they couldn't get the rails in there to clean it), the car started right up, the idle was a little jumpy, but eventually smoothed out and remained a little high. after the initial startup, I changed the oil again to remove any remaining coolant that may have been in the oil system, and the oil came out like thick white 100w oil. I couldn't believe it. Come to find out, the upper intake plenum I got from the dealer was flawed because the lower intake was full of fresh coolant. So, after vacuuming out the coolant from the intake, removing the spark pluge and rotated the motor to remove any coolant from the cylinders, I installed a new plenum, refreshed the coolant and changed the oil again. Started it up and it ran good. the idle is still a little high, but it doesn't seem to want to go over 4000 rpm...meaning it starts toping out as if it hit the rev limiter. I am getting a check engine light and I read the code and it's telling me the idle is too high. I've driven the car to work Monday and yesterday and the car drives great, it still doesn't want to go over 4k and it still idles high. Does anyone have any ideas? I'm kinda trumped at the moment. A friend suggested the vehicles engine speed sensor may be gummed up from when the oil when it thickened up to 100w like oil. Any ideas fellas? I need to get this car back to my mother.

-ImpalaMan

Old 01-27-2006, 03:33 PM
Administrator

i know that alot of the GM V6s have had crank sensor problems...which could account for that, i believe...when it got that hot, it my have damaged that sensor?