Intrigue Talk about the Oldsmobile Intrigue within...

turn signal lights

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 04:23 PM

Sorry Double post.Edited by: Jumbo Prawns

Old 06-12-2006, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by ImpalaMan
My mother had the same problem on her 98 Intrigue, it's not the bulbs, it's the wiring harness. The ground wire isn't sufficient to hold the load when the turn signals are activated, so it overloads the bulb and then you get to change it. My solution to this was to cut the ground wire from the turn signal terminal harness and give it it's own ground wire. I actually grounded it on the front core support. It only took about 7-9" of wire and one loop connector for a screw. She hasn't had a problem with the turn signals in over 3 years since I did that to her car. Food for thought, good luck.

-ImpalaMan

Any chance you have a digital photo of how you did this?

Old 06-12-2006, 04:35 PM

I can take a few so you know what I did if that will help. Give me a day or two on this since I'd have to go to my mothers house to take a pic of the procedure.

-ImpalaMan

Old 09-03-2007, 02:18 PM

I'm trying to do this wiring...did you ever take the pics? If not, which wire am I cutting...there is 3. Thanks!![img]smileys/smiley11.gif[/img]

Old 09-03-2007, 09:27 PM

I did take some pics, just downloaded them from my phone, here they are with some explanation.

This is the wiring plug that connects to the turn signal bulb socket.
Name:  mime-attachment-1.jpg
Views: 478
Size:  24.4 KB

In this case, I removed the original ground wire completely in order to run my own. You can buy the pin connectors individually at www.innovativewiring.com. So I took the original pin connector out and had my own larger ground wire that I connected back into the plug. You don't have to go this far to make your turn signals work right, but I wanted to do this right so the voltage didn't run a short in the smaller gauge factory wire.
Name:  mime-attachment-2.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  28.3 KB

For those wondering which is the correct ground wire, hold the connector in your hand like shown and it is the wire on the far right. Notice in the photo I haven't re-inserted the pin connector yet. For the new ground wire route, poke a pin hole in the rubber weather cap and run your new ground wire through it like shown....
Name:  mime-attachment-3.jpg
Views: 466
Size:  27.2 KB

Run the new ground wire through a hole in the lense bracketing and secure it to the ground location that is already on the core support for a different harness like shown....
Name:  mime-attachment-4.jpg
Views: 424
Size:  33.6 KB

Reassemble your headlight assembly and your done. Word of caution though, IF your light bulb socket is in any way frayed or burned from the shorting out, get a replacement part from your local dealer and also run the new thicker ground wire as I've shown. I've had no problems with this mod since I did it so long ago. For those wondering, the new ground wire only needs to be one gauge of wire thicker than the factory.

I'm sorry for the delay in the pics. I hope this helps everyone out. Have fun.

-ImpalaMan

Old 09-03-2007, 11:31 PM

Thanks so much! I'm going to give it a go tomorrow!!!

Aaron

Old 09-12-2007, 05:03 PM

yeah, thanks. I think I'm gunna try the ground wire also.