New Member Area Are you new?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride...

Howdy from Colorado - New User

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2005, 10:15 PM

Howdy from Colorado. Wanted to say hello to you fellow Oldsmobile enthusiasts. I have just purchased my 6th Oldsmobile. I've had a 68 Cutlass Conv., a 82 Custom Cruiser, a 82 Delta 88, a 87 Custom Cruiser, a 94 Cutlass Conv., and now I just bought a 95 Cutlass Conv. with 65K miles.

I really like the 90-95 Olds Cutlass Convertibles ... I think they are the best looking convertibles on the road ... even after 10+ years. Its a shame that Olds stopped making the convertible, and its a bigger shame that GM stopped making Oldsmobiles.

Anyway, I am new to the Oldsmobile Forum and am looking to get and share information with all of you.

Best Regards to y'all
Cliff Costello (colorado_cowboyx)

Old 08-15-2005, 01:14 AM

Cliff, Great looking Cutlass convertable. Yes it was a bad day when the announcement to drop OLDSMOBILE from the General Motors line up.

I am a retired Oldsmobile employee of 32 years, andI also have owned a bunch of them, 29 to date. My latest is a 1972 Cutlass "S" 2 door hardtop, my 12th Cutlass. As a Salaried Manager for Oldsmobile we were always offered the employee discount program, as well as first dibbs on the company used car fleet, so it seemed the right thing to do each year was buy a new car. The price was right with multiple discounts.

I just purchased my 1972 last year and it is now repainted andI have entered inmany car shows in my area, anddoing quite well.

Old 08-15-2005, 01:18 PM

Sandersda:

Thanks for your post. Boy, as a former Oldsmobile Division employee, that had to have hurt to have GM close down the division. I have to tell you, I've owned cars from Cheverolet, Pontiac, and Oldsmobile, and have loved the Oldsmobiles the best --- by a long shot. I never was interested in Buick or Caddy (old men's cars - laughing!!!). While the Olds may not have been the sportiest looking (that goes to Pontiac), the Olds were always the most reliable and fun to drive for me. They always felt a notch above Chev/Pontiac. I can honestly tell you that all of the (OK, the 87 Custom Cruiser Wagon with the 305 V8 was a dog) were solid cars that I loved owning. I am thoroughly enjoying my '95 Cutlass Conv. I am struggling though to find parts for it. I am going to place a post to see if anybody has any good sources of NOS or aftermarket parts for these cars. I know there are some good sources for the kind of car you now have. I am hoping that part mfgrs. will see the interest in the 90-95 Cutlass Conv. series. But right now I am struggling.

Anyway, I wanted to thank you and all of your former fellow Olds division employees for making the best GM car out there!!! Sorry that GM mgmt has blinders on ... but then, that was always the biggest problem with GM. I was always amazed at some of the blunders that they seemed to make. Now tell me how a car like the 92 Chevy Impala was ever thought to be attractive and something people would like to own. PLEASE!!!!! There's a decision I couldn't believe GM Mgmt. agreed to. Oh well.

Thanks for the post and enjoy your 72 Cutlass. Someday, I'd like to have one from that era and one from the mid 60's, to round out a collection.

Best Regards,

coloradocowboyx