New Member Area Are you new?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride...

I miss my 1987 Oldsmobile Calais

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 06:07 PM
Default I miss my 1987 Oldsmobile Calais

When I was 17 years old (1998), my grandfather made a deal with me. If I could save the money up for the purchase price of a car, he would pay the sales tax. My first car? A two-door, light blue 1987 Oldsmobile Calais, complete with horrible primer and chipping paint. My friends and I affectionately called the car "Chippy."

I loved that car, but had no clue how to take care of it. I soon ran it into the ground and the engine blew up on me in the summer of 1999, a little over a year after I bought it. My adopted dad was a mechanic, and rebuilt the engine for me while I was off doing my thing as a private in the army. Once the engine was rebuilt, I drove it cross-country from Missouri to Washington and it built a reputation there as an awesome little car, too. Even to this day 11 years later, there are fond stories.

I sold the car for next to nothing in 2001 before heading off to South Korea. When I returned, the car was trashed and still sitting in my unit's parking lot. I was told I could have it for free, but I didn't have the time or money to invest in it, so I passed. It faded from my life in early 2002.

This month, I tracked down the VIN and tracked the car's history. I was destroyed to find out it had been wrecked in 2004 and sent to a salvage yard. After being stripped of all parts, it was destroyed in 2006. My beloved Chippy had passed on.

Now I am on a mission. I want to save a 1987 Oldsmobile Calais from a similar fate. The cars tend to be passed along to people like my younger self, who don't realize what a great car they have. I want that car again.

So, here I am on the Oldsmobile Forum. My name is Josh and I am an Oldsmobile Calais enthusiast. Maybe the only one in existence. It's nice to meet you all!

--
Josh