New Member Area Are you new?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride...

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2020, 04:56 PM
Default New Member

Howdy All, I am George , I live in Newport News Virginia and I am in the process of restoring a 1936 Olds, F36. All is going well I a bit surprised at how many of the parts I need are available. At this time I have completely dismantled the car body and have been sending the parts to a local paint shop. I am not doing an off body (body off the frame) because I am not equipped for that type operation. So at this point I am waiting for the paint shop to call me and tell me that it is time to bring the rest of the car to them for paint and then ultimately reassembly of the car. This brings me to the point of my post and my dilemma. Because the car is completely apart I decided to fix/replace some of the interior components, i.e. the heater, new dashboard instruments and gauges and the radio. All has been fairly easy except the last item, the radio!! When I originally purchased the car the radio was in the trunk. When I saw it my initial thoughts were "wow a old tube radio, cool I'll install this and add to the effect of the car". But its not so easy I am learning. The radio is a Union Motors, 6- tube standard radio Model #982006. My issue is two things. First I connected the radio to a battery (6-volt of course) to see if it would work. All the tubes light and the speaker initially crackles but after that no sound is ever heard. The problem I have is that although I have a radio tube schematic so I know which tubes go where and what there output(??) should be I can't find an actual wiring diagram that will help me determine current flow and component activation. So I don't know what actually could be failing or has failed so I can test it and determine if I need a new component. The other issue I am having is trying to determine exactly where the radio is mounted inside the car. Best I can determine the box might fit well on the firewall non the drivers side but I don't know where the control box will mount into the dashboard? But I can find a pic or a installation instruction anywhere. So I thought I'd come to a location where the "Pros" are and maybe get a bit of education.
Can someone possibly steer me in the direction of where I can get an actual schematic for a Union Motors Oldsmobile radio Model 982006 so I can troubleshoot this unit and also could someone tell me how the radio is mounted in the car and connected into the electrical system.

Thank you all for reading this and any help anyone can offer. Very respectfully, george