New Member Area Are you new?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride...

New in town

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 09:33 PM

Hey everyone, Just rolled into this site in search of some info. I drive a 1971 Olds Cutlass S with, of course, the 350 rocket. I've been updating engine components as I get the cash or as the need arises. From what I understand it was in a shed for quite some time and went undriven for a good portion of its life, 35 years old and only 129,000 when I got it. Anyway, its got a 2bbl intake manifold on it with the quad riding up top and I want to convert it to a dual quad. The problem with this plan is I can't find anyone that makes a dual quad for the 350 rocket, actually the only dual quad I found for any olds was for a '57. I'm wondering if anyone has an idea of who I can contact to get my hands on one of these babies. Right now its pretty much all stock save for the fuel filter and distributor (installed a street/stripHEI.), the rest of the work has gone into the floors, trunk, starter, tires, shocks, control arms and interior. I'm itching to get to the engine, especially since I have to change the seals anyway. So if anyone has any info let me know, thanks in advanced.

Old 12-31-2006, 02:47 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome! I have a 71 Cutlass convertible.

Ummm...a 2 bbl intake with a 4 bbl on it? And no, nobody makes a dual 4 bbl manifold for an Olds. FWIW, the president of the South texas Oldsmobile Club (I'm the newsletter editor) runs an 11 second 1970 442 with a single Quadrajet on it. You'll never need more than 750 cfm, dude.

My only suggestion is to find an Oldsmobile engine builder. It's NOT a Ch#vy or a F*rd. There's differences that mean you'll either have a screaming small block or a big smoking boat anchor.

Join the Oldsmobile Club of America and your local chapter. www.oldsclub.org Lots of great folks and a wealth of parts and tech info.

Post pics and keep in touch!

C.J.

Old 01-07-2007, 01:28 AM

[QUOTE=texasred]

Welcome! I have a 71 Cutlass convertible.

Ummm...a 2 bbl intake with a 4 bbl on it? And no, nobody makes a dual 4 bbl manifold for an Olds. FWIW, the president of the South texas Oldsmobile Club (I'm the newsletter editor) runs an 11 second 1970 442 with a single Quadrajet on it. You'll never need more than 750 cfm, dude.

My only suggestion is to find an Oldsmobile engine builder. It's NOT a Ch#vy or a F*rd. There's differences that mean you'll either have a screaming small block or a big smoking boat anchor.

Join the Oldsmobile Club of America and your local chapter. www.oldsclub.org Lots of great folks and a wealth of parts and tech info.

Post pics and keep in touch!

C.J.Hmm, though I appreciate the suggestion that I'm a total idiot, I'm pretty sure I was planning on upgrading the intake manifold and the carburetor to 4bbl at the same time. I was saying I wanted to put two 4bbl carbs on an intakebuilt for two 4bbl carbs. Thanks for the link though, I'll check it out.Edited by: classicguy

Old 01-08-2007, 01:27 AM
Super Moderator

Let's recap:

"...its got a 2bbl intake manifold on it with the quad riding up top..." Sounds to me like you are saying you have a 2bbl manifold with a 4bbl carb on top of it.

I apologize if I misread, but I haven'tsuggestedthat you are anything (yet). Calm down...K?

BTW, I will correct myself...there are a couple of dual quad intakes made for big block Olds, but nothing for small blocks.

C.J.

Old 01-09-2007, 01:09 AM

I see now where the error lies. I was refering to a quadrajet, not a quad carb. Simple fault by way of poor clipping of a word. Thinking now of putting a victor with a elelbrock 4bbl carb with a vacuum secondary and an electric choke. I'll be getting the manifold soon and the carb soon after, should be fun time installing and tuning, looking forward to it.

Let's recap:

"...its got a 2bbl intake manifold on it with the quad riding up top..." Sounds to me like you are saying you have a 2bbl manifold with a 4bbl carb on top of it.

I apologize if I misread, but I haven'tsuggestedthat you are anything (yet). Calm down...K?

BTW, I will correct myself...there are a couple of dual quad intakes made for big block Olds, but nothing for small blocks.

C.J.[/QUOTE]

Old 01-09-2007, 02:40 AM
Super Moderator

Why a single plane Victor? 3500-8500 rpm optimum flow? You might be happier with a Performer Olds 350or Performer RPM on the street. Just a thought.

Sowhat was the 2 bbl manifold reference? Sorry for beating a dead horse...I guess I need to read slower...[img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]

C.J.

Old 01-12-2007, 12:28 AM

Actually I think I'm ordering the Performer RPM this weekend, just having a hell of a time finding a Quadrajet to put up top. I'd always kind of beenheading in that direction, I like rebuilding carbs...

Anyway, the 2bbl reference..its got a 2bbl intake manifold on it with the quad riding up top..."was that is has a 2bbl intake manifold on it with a 2bbl quadrajet up top, and I want to convert it to a 4bbl intake manifold...with a 4bbl carburetor. Actually, as you know, I wanted to get a dual quad manifold, beautiful pieces of equipiment, pain in the *** to tune two carburetors but with a tach under the hood its made a bit easier. Unfortunately its just too much for my little 350. Thats all fine and good because its going to be beautiful either way when I'm done putting it together. Still have alot to learn about what to replace with what though. All part of the good times though.

You said....

Why a single plane Victor? 3500-8500 rpm optimum flow? You might be happier with a Performer Olds 350or Performer RPM on the street. Just a thought.

Sowhat was the 2 bbl manifold reference? Sorry for beating a dead horse...I guess I need to read slower...[img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]

C.J.[/QUOTE]

Old 01-12-2007, 12:49 AM
Super Moderator

NOW I get where you are coming from!

The 2bbl Rochester carbs are not called Quadrajets. They are usually calledVariJets, "two bore" or just 2 barrels. A Quadrajet can only be a 4bbl...4 jets.

I really like my Performer RPM manifold. As an added bonus, you can run an HEI without altering your air cleaner.

If you need a QJet, make sure you go to a QJet builder and not AutoBone or Advance for their "remanufactured" units.

There's some goodrebuilders out there,but I always like to put a plug in for Dan Sarvis (wblue70@aol.com). He's the guy I was referring to with the '70 W-30 car. He also does Olds enging blueprinting and QJet building.

Not saying anyone is bad...but (IMHO) Dan is the man!

C.J.Edited by: texasred